[SOLVED] Upgraded GPU, Stuck on Motherboard splash screen

Jul 5, 2020
I upgraded from a GTX 860 to a GTX 1660 Super and my PC is stuck on the motherboard splash screen. My board has no integrated graphics so I have to remove the new card and put the old one back in to get into BIOS and Windows. That means it's not the PSU, CPU or display. GPU fans spin and motherboard is compatible with new GPU. Old GPU required dual 8-pin + 6-pin connectors. New GPU only requires 8-pin. I'm using only the 8-pin connector from the existing cable for new GPU. Could this be the issue and I need new PCIE cables?

Here's what I've tried:

Updated BIOS and optimized
Cleared CMOS and optimized
Tested power connectors and PCIe 3.0 slots
Confirmed PCIe 16_1 slot is default and GPU seated there.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to test in another rig, but everything runs fine with old GPU so issue seems to be with new GPU and with CPU

Here's my set-up
CPU: Gigabyte 3930K GA-X79-UD5 3.8 GHz
PSU: Thermaltake PowerTough Grand 1200W (8-pin)
Old GPU: GTX 680
New GPU: MSI GTX 1660 Super Inventus

I haven't uninstalled old Nvidia drivers as I've had to reinstall the old GPU in order to troubleshoot.

Any other suggestions on what I can try? Or can I chalk it up to a defective GPU?

Solution
Yea just make sure you hit the switch on your power supply or unplug it before installing or removing a graphics card. i'm not sure, but i think when windows is installing itself it takes the pcie devices and applies a temporary driver. I don't think the 860 will work with directx12, if you have them both in your machine and install the 1660 driver from the NVIDIA site, you should see it in your device manager, and the 860 will more than likely show up as basic Microsoft display adapter.
Jul 7, 2020
I'd put the 860 back in, back up your os, then put the 1660 in and reinstall, its probably a driver issue. I had a similar issue with a p106-090 blue screening me with my 1070ti/1600/x370. Booted from usb and got past it and was able to install the drivers. or you know what, just have them both in, with your video out in the 860, and get the driver for the 1660 and try to run it.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2020
Thanks so much! I was just thinking about that this morning. Having them both installed and going about it that way.

I have had some BSOD errors tied to Nvidia drivers with the 860 in the recent past so that may be part of it too.

For the OS backup, are you saying to backup and reinstall my OS and then the Nvidia drivers? Or backup OS as a precaution and just reinstall new GPU?

I'm a total noob with all of this, lol.

Jul 7, 2020
Yea just make sure you hit the switch on your power supply or unplug it before installing or removing a graphics card. i'm not sure, but i think when windows is installing itself it takes the pcie devices and applies a temporary driver. I don't think the 860 will work with directx12, if you have them both in your machine and install the 1660 driver from the NVIDIA site, you should see it in your device manager, and the 860 will more than likely show up as basic Microsoft display adapter.

Solution