Upgraded mobo - system wont power on

Funkyd04

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
So i upgraded the system, went from an MSI b150 motherboard to the Asus ROG maximus X. Stuck with the same CPU, added an m2 socket ssd (also plugged in my previous SSD with the OS), and added an upgraded graphics card. According to the manual everything is plugged as it should be.

When i fired it up, the lights would come on and fans would turn on but only for a SPLIT second, then everything shut back off. The fans were'nt even powered long enough to reach decent speed. So far i've unplugged everything except the monitor, mouse, and keyboard. I've also removed the graphics card. Same behavior. I guess next step is removing the m2 ssd, but i doubt that would change anything.

Any thoughts? I reused the standoffs already present in the ATX chassis, so i don't think its a grounding issue. Also had a Windows 10 boot usb ready to go.

Funkyd04

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016

Highpower 1000w supply. Ran my previous system with similar specs well. HPL-1000BR-f14s

Funkyd04

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Ok so i was messing around unpllugging everything and trying it out. It seems the computer will only boot up if i remove the 8 pin EATX12v connector, the wire coming directly off the power supply. I guess the mobo is pulling power from the 24 pin connector. BUT, the computer won't actually boot into bios. I've got a monitor connected to the mobo and its blank. So, progress.... but still nowhere near where i need to be. Why wouldn't the computer be powering on with the 8 pin connected?

Funkyd04

Commendable
Jul 14, 2016
Ok so i found out the guy from the electronics store sold me the wrong mobo, its an 8th gen and i have a 7th gen cpu. No wonder why it won't boot with CPU powered. I decided to throw in my old mobo just to verify if the cpu is ok, and now it won't power up. No lights, no fans, no nothing. This is definately not normal. Power supply was posting up fine prior but now i don't even get fans.