[SOLVED] Upgraded most of my hardware, computer STILL won't boot....

abethemoose

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012
So I've been messing with the wife's rig for a couple weeks now, replacing pieces, trying to get it to run. At this point, the only thing that ISN'T new, is the video card. Everything that is in it, I checked for compatibility on PCPartPicker.com, everything was good to go. I get everything hooked up and double checked, go to power it in, and it's doing the same thing it did when it originally didn't want to fire up....hit the power button, it will light up and spin the fans for maybe half a second, then it quits, and won't do anything, unless I turn off the power supply, then back on again, hit the power button, same thing... At this point, I'm not sure what else to try. I read some posts that the B350 boards aren't the greatest, but it still compatible with the Ryzen 7 1700x, which is in it (according to PCPartPicker). It's hooked up to a new 500gb SSD, a new 750 PSU, new SATA cables, and yet it STILL won't boot up. I really don't want to have to pay to take it in...I've built several rigs in the past, but this is the first time I've had this much trouble with one before. Any help is appreciated.

Solution

A lot of these new boards, especially those with lighting effects, will light up as soon as there is power, but they can still be dead as doorknob. There is not much to the controls, logic, for the lights. I had Asus B-350E Prime that would light up red, but never boot. It was DOA. Swapped it out and then everything started working as they should.

You could mess that power button press it a million times, short the pins with screw driver, etc. The lights are on but no one is home.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
How do you know the motherboard is not bad? I know from personal experience that the Ryzen boads, regardless of brand, has really bad quality control. In the past 18 months I had 3 of 6 that were failures, DOA, random BSOD, hard hangs, etc. Aggravation and frustration to the max. Seen them with Asus, Gigabyte, ASRock, MSI, etc. There all sorts of refurb, open box Ryzen boards for sale, that I wouldn't ever touch with a 10 fotr pole.

scout_03

Titan
Ambassador
this b 350 could you see and debug led on or code also you did put standoff between case and bord and no wire touch the case for ground the other thing you could try is to unplug front panel power switch from board and momentary touch the 2 pins to have system start and see if it hold .

abethemoose

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012

Well, I honestly don't know for sure if the board is bad. It lights up, so it's atleast getting power. I suppose there's always the chance of a DOA product.

abethemoose

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2012

Everything looks good, as far as what you described in the first part there...as far as the second part, I don't know if I feel comfortable doing that, haha.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018

A lot of these new boards, especially those with lighting effects, will light up as soon as there is power, but they can still be dead as doorknob. There is not much to the controls, logic, for the lights. I had Asus B-350E Prime that would light up red, but never boot. It was DOA. Swapped it out and then everything started working as they should.

You could mess that power button press it a million times, short the pins with screw driver, etc. The lights are on but no one is home.

Solution