Question Upgraded most of my machine, sometimes posts, sometimes doesn't.

Jan 14, 2021
I was rocking a 2015-ish budget build that was really starting to show its age. My buddy gave me the motherboard, processor, and PSU from his old build, and I purchased some RAM new from Amazon.

Relevant Specs:
-ASUS Z170 Pro4s
-Intel Core i5 (not sure on exact model)
-2x8gb DDR4 3200 (started with Crucial Ballistix, then tried Oloy Owl, now I have Corsair Vengeance on the way)
-EVGA GeForce GTX 950

My first boot attempt with everything installed gave me case fans and LEDs, but nothing else. Display never activated.

I tried various troubleshooting steps -- reseated GPU, plugged directly into mobo -- still nothing. Finally, I removed one stick of the Ballistix RAM. Success!

After a few games of Valorant, I decided to test the other stick of RAM. Removed one which worked, and replaced it with the other in the same slot. Back to fans and LEDs with no post. Put the original stick back in, and it booted once again.

With the RAM seemingly the problem, I returned the Crucial and got some Oloy. Gave me fans and LEDs, but would not post no matter what combination of # of sticks and slots. Just returned the Oloy, Corsair Vengeance is next.

If this new RAM doesn't work, I'd have to be having some pretty bad luck for 3 separate packages to be bunk. What else should I be looking for? The fact that it was running with 8gb gives me some hope that it isn't FUBAR, but maybe this is what I get for trying to use hand-me-downs...

Jan 14, 2021
turn on the xmp memory profile in bios?

Unfortunately, I can't even get that far.

With the first round of RAM that worked -- the 8gb stick of Crucial Ballistix -- I did check out the BIOS and it seemed that XMP was already on.

When my Vengeance arrives in a day or two, I'll double check. If it will let me.

Jan 14, 2021
Update: It was definitely the RAM. Booted up first try with the Corsair Vengeance installed.

Moral of the story: Don't skimp to save $10~ on an untrusted brand. If something has 40k five star reviews on Amazon, that's probably what you want.