[SOLVED] Upgraded Motherboard and CPU without a fresh windows install. Should I still do one?

bassboy10

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
Hello, today I upgraded my motherboard and cpu, but kept everything else (including hdd's and ssd). I was able to boot straight from my hdd, without having to do a fresh install of windows 10. I read somewhere that windows might have trouble with new hardware drivers if I don'd do a fresh install. However, everything seems to be working fine thus far. My question is, should I do a fresh install of windows 10? Or is there something I can do to check that windows 10 is working just fine on my new mobo?

Your help is greatly appreciated

Edit: I stayed with AMD and upgraded to board with an AM4 socket and suport for DDR4

Last edited:
Solution
D
Alright cool, I actually found a setting called “Reset this PC”. It says that it will delete all apps and keep personal files, and re-installs Windows. Is this an advisable option?
No. Do a CLEAN installation.

Unplug SATA cables from all other drives and only keep the drive you wish to install Windows on. After Windows is done installing, plug those drives back.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
Welcome to the forums :D

drivers are but one issue.
the motherboard is many devices and each one makes edits to the registry.
you may get driver conflicts or Interrupt Requests, IRQ conflicts.

a fresh start with a pristine registry is suggested.

bassboy10

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
Welcome to the forums :D

drivers are but one issue.
the motherboard is many devices and each one makes edits to the registry.
you may get driver conflicts or Interrupt Requests, IRQ conflicts.

a fresh start with a pristine registry is suggested.
Thanks for the suggestion. Now what would be the best way to go about this?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
-backup all your data that you need to keep. get a list of the installed programs that you will need - just helpful later.
- it is advisable to only have the target drive installed, windows likes to place needed files on other drives, avoid the issue by only having one drive installed during windows install.
-during the windows install you can delete the partition on the drive and let windows prep the drive.
-install windows to the blank drive, update windows and then install the programs you need.

bassboy10

Reputable
Aug 10, 2016
-backup all your data that you need to keep. get a list of the installed programs that you will need - just helpful later.
- it is advisable to only have the target drive installed, windows likes to place needed files on other drives, avoid the issue by only having one drive installed during windows install.
-during the windows install you can delete the partition on the drive and let windows prep the drive.
-install windows to the blank drive, update windows and then install the programs you need.
Alright cool, I actually found a setting called “Reset this PC”. It says that it will delete all apps and keep personal files, and re-installs Windows. Is this an advisable option?

D

Deleted member 2720853

No. Do a CLEAN installation.

Unplug SATA cables from all other drives and only keep the drive you wish to install Windows on. After Windows is done installing, plug those drives back.

Solution

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
clean install and refresh/reset are not the same.

make sure you have a copy of the proper network driver, just in case windows does not have it in its driver library, so you can connect to the internet and download updates and other drivers after the clean install. the network driver is the only one really needed, once that is installed the rest can be gotten.