Upgraded motherboard + CPU. Now I'm getting a constant loop of asio.sys BSOD when booting and can't get into safe mode.

Jack_141

Commendable
May 27, 2016
I've been fiddling around with this for the past 2 days. Basically I bought an MSI 970 gaming motherboard and a new AMD FX 8350 Processor. I took everything out and rebuilt my pc in a new case with the new motherboard and cpu. Everything turned on correctly (fans,board,etc..) after the windows loading screen it goes to a BSOD system service exception asio.sys. It goes to that then says it's collecting data and restarts and just goes in a constant loop. I tried to load safe mode but that doesn't work. I switched out RAM, made sure everything was connected. I took out the HDD which is my old one, put it back in my old set up with my old motherboard and old cpu and it loads as normal. I restored the HDD through windows and downloaded the 970's drivers + graphic card drivers but that didn't solve the issue either. I'm not too computer savvy but after googled the asio.sys seems to be driver related? I'm wondering if i put my hdd back into my old setup, download dban and then completely wipe the hdd and reinstall Windows will that help? It's the last thing i can think of trying before i take it to a store to get a professional to help. Thanks for any help.

Solution

Yup, just reinstalling is enough.
simply put you will have to do a clean install of windows to make your computer boot.

you cannot take a hard drive (to use the windows install) to another (different model) motherboard. windows creates some critical motherboard specific boot information files that are based off of motherboard hardware/ bios at the time windows is created and there is no simple way to do anything but a clean install on the new computer. basically back everything up while set up as your old rig. build your new rig and do clean install then put your user files on it. plus your system will be clean again so it will run better. best of luck

Jack_141

Commendable
May 27, 2016

My old motherboard is a completely different brand so i'm guessing this will fix it! Thanks for the reply. So I don't need to completely wipe the hdd? Can I make a bootable USB like I did before and it will write over the existing os files?

Jack_141

Commendable
May 27, 2016

Seems to have done the trick. Thank you!!

TRENDING THREADS