Question Upgraded my CPU, but now it runs very hot?

Dec 9, 2022
My previous CPU was a Ryzen 5 2600. At idle it was 35-38 degrees C and when gaming it only went up to 41 using an AIO, but I upgraded it to a Ryzen 5 5800X and as soon as I boot my pc up it's at 80 degrees C then slowly goes down to 60 at idle. Also having trouble with the frequency being locked at 4.8ghz???

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2022
I wouldn't say that. What thermal paste did you use, and how did you apply it? 60c at idle and 80c is on the high side. Could also be the cooler failing.

What bios are you running? List the rest of your PC specs. Too many unknowns.

Edit: Are you OC'ing the CPU? Using PBO or CTR or Ryzen Master?

No, I didn't do anything to OC the CPU.

Dec 9, 2022
Okay. Good to know.

Can you please answer the other questions I posed, and we will have more information to help fix your issue. Without that, we are just guessing.

Ryzen 7 5800X
NZXT Kraken X63
RTX 3060
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON MAX WIFI -Bios Version: 7B85v2B

Using Noctua NT-H2. First I used the line method, but I reinstalled the cooler and reapplied the same paste this time using the dot method. Still idling at 50-60 degrees C with almost no load. I even tried uninstalling MSI Center because people say it causes problems but that didn't help either :(

Dec 9, 2022
Okay. Good to know.

Can you please answer the other questions I posed, and we will have more information to help fix your issue. Without that, we are just guessing.

I think the problem is my CPU constantly running at 4.85ghz.

Edit: Made my CPU Frequency ratio thing locked at 38 in BIOS so now my temps are normal. However, it's set to all core so now every core is stuck at 3.8ghz, which isn't a good thing.

Last edited:
I think the problem is my CPU constantly running at 4.85ghz. I tried lowering my core voltage down, and now my CPU runs at 38 degrees C idle but now it shifts from 4.8 to 3.6 or 3.8 every two seconds.

Edit: How do i make it so my CPU remains at lower frequency?
First off, although a bit higher than it should or could be on idle. it's mot as important highest temps under the load. I asked you to check on and make pump run at full speed even at idle because if it's at low speed it can't circulate water fast enough.
"as soon as I boot my pc up it's at 80 degrees C then slowly goes down to 60 at idle. " is one of main symptoms.
A question about that frequency, is it om one or more cores, it is normal for one core to go high and others much lower or even at "sleep" mode. In the case temps you see are for that core which is at load, not whole CPU. Ryzen does not report temps per core.
Best way to control Ryzen 5000 series temps is thru "Core Optimization" where every core can be set for negative voltage offset, usually within -10 to -20 and it scales with core usage.
Lastly, core frequencies are supposed to change according to their load, my for instance changes one core at true idle (less than 1%) from less than 1GHz while others stay in sleep mode while under full load range to 4.8GHz on all cores and under full single core load up to 5.05GHz.
That saves energy(and heat) and still gives full performance when needed.

Dec 9, 2022
First off, although a bit higher than it should or could be on idle. it's mot as important highest temps under the load. I asked you to check on and make pump run at full speed even at idle because if it's at low speed it can't circulate water fast enough.
"as soon as I boot my pc up it's at 80 degrees C then slowly goes down to 60 at idle. " is one of main symptoms.
A question about that frequency, is it om one or more cores, it is normal for one core to go high and others much lower or even at "sleep" mode. In the case temps you see are for that core which is at load, not whole CPU. Ryzen does not report temps per core.
Best way to control Ryzen 5000 series temps is thru "Core Optimization" where every core can be set for negative voltage offset, usually within -10 to -20 and it scales with core usage.
Lastly, core frequencies are supposed to change according to their load, my for instance changes one core at true idle (less than 1%) from less than 1GHz while others stay in sleep mode while under full load range to 4.8GHz on all cores and under full single core load up to 5.05GHz.
That saves energy(and heat) and still gives full performance when needed.

Yes, my pump is always on full speed.
Also it's one or more cores that fluctuate between 3.8 to 4.8. I tried locking the CPU ratio to 38 and it worked but i realized it's supposed to change based on the load so I put it back to auto and now i have the same problem where different cores fluctuate between 3.8 to 4.8 which is why my CPU temps are hot.

Last edited:
Yes, my pump is always on full speed.
Also it's one or more cores that fluctuate between 3.8 to 4.8. I tried locking the CPU ratio to 38 and it worked but i realized it's supposed to change based on the load so I put it back to auto and now i have the same problem where different cores fluctuate between 3.8 to 4.8 which is why my CPU temps are hot.
Processors and rest of hardware are not going to do all those things by themselves, they are driven by OS and software to change within CPU and BIOS parameters.
Your windows and SW may not show some background processes going on. which cause frequency boos and change. Maybe you should try then in Safe mode and in "Clean mode" where all startup programs are disabled as well as internet.