[SOLVED] Upgraded my CPU, but now my M.2 NVMe SSD isn't detected by my motherboard anymore

Dec 6, 2021
I swapped my Ryzen 5 2600 for a Ryzen 7 5800X on my ASRock B450M Pro4, but my Kingston A2000 SSD, which used to work just fine as my boot drive, simply isn't detected by my motherboard anymore. No mention of it anywhere in the UEFI settings--nothing. It does show my Samsung SATA SSD, but I only use that one for data storage, so it can't boot Windows. Whenever I turn on my PC, it show that infamous "no bootable disk" black screen. I've looked around on the interwebs but none of the solutions have proved useful so far. Would love some additional tips and suggestions, thanks!

Things I've tried:
  • Reseating the M.2 SSD
  • Mounting the SSD in my second M.2 slot
  • Clearing CMOS/loading default settings
  • Changing the SATA ports for my Samsung SATA SSD
  • Updating BIOS (current version: 5.30)
  • Enabling and disabling CSM
  • I haven't yet checked if the system boots if I swap back to my Ryzen 5 2600. Will try that tomorrow as well.
PC components:
  • Corsair 4000D Airflow case
  • Corsair CX600M power supply
  • ASRock B450M Pro4 (BIOS v5.30)
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X
  • AMD RX 480
  • G.Skill Aegis 16 GB DDR4 RAM
  • Kingston A2000 1 TB SSD (M.2 NVMe)
  • Samsung EVO 750 250 GB SSD (SATA)

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How long has that green labelled CX unit from Corsair been powering your rig listed above? I say green labelled since the CX600 only comes in that version. If it's the 650, then it's the grey labelled unit. As for your platform, have you tried breadboarding the system with the bare minimum components, one stick of ram, only SSD with the presumed OS, processor and discrete GPU?

Per the clearing CMOS point, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the battery from the motherboard for at least 30 minutes, then replace and see if that changes anything. To rule out the SSD giving up the ghost, try and drop the SSD in question onto a donor system that will accept an M.2 NVMe SSD and see if that...

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How long has that green labelled CX unit from Corsair been powering your rig listed above? I say green labelled since the CX600 only comes in that version. If it's the 650, then it's the grey labelled unit. As for your platform, have you tried breadboarding the system with the bare minimum components, one stick of ram, only SSD with the presumed OS, processor and discrete GPU?

Per the clearing CMOS point, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the battery from the motherboard for at least 30 minutes, then replace and see if that changes anything. To rule out the SSD giving up the ghost, try and drop the SSD in question onto a donor system that will accept an M.2 NVMe SSD and see if that shows up in donor system's BIOS.

Solution
Dec 6, 2021
Thanks for the warm welcome. I've had my trusty green power supply for a year or 7, is this too long? My system has always been rather 'minimal', though I will try running it with just one stick of RAM now. Also going to order a M.2 case to test it on my laptop since I don't have a donor system unfortunately. I just hope my SSD didn't die because of the upgrade since there were still some important files on there. Thanks for the suggestion again.

Dec 6, 2021
I've swapped back to my Ryzen 5 2600 and everything seems to be working just fine for now. This leads me to believe there's some sort of incompatibility with the Ryzen 7 5800X and the Kingston A2000 while using this motherboard. Perhaps it might have something to do with the PCIe interface of the ASRock B450M Pro4.