Question Upgraded my CPU/MOBO/RAM and now PC restarts randomly

Zephurious

Distinguished
May 27, 2012
Hi everyone, I'll supply as much info as I can before it happens again. Seemingly random intervals at which it happens as well. anywhere between 15 mins to 8 hrs between, both under load and no load.

Specs:
Case: iBuyPower Snowblind N450

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 core 3800MHz (no OC) w/included cooling

MOBO: ASUS Prime B450M-A w/BIOS 1607, 6/17/2019

RAM: 32GB [2x16] GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-3200

GPU: MSI Quicksilver NVidia GEForce GTX 1070 8GB

PSU: 800w Standard 80 Plus Bronze

Zephurious

Distinguished
May 27, 2012
Yes, that was the first thing I did, but I noticed the drive I installed windows on an the boot drive are two different drives... is that an AMD thing or is it abnormal? Im new to AMD

kanewolf

Titan
Yes, that was the first thing I did, but I noticed the drive I installed windows on an the boot drive are two different drives... is that an AMD thing or is it abnormal? Im new to AMD
You did not correctly install Windows. You want ONLY the destination drive connected when you do the install.
Here is Tom's how-to for reference -- https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html
After you have done the basic install, and installed the drivers that came with the motherboard, and done windows updates, THEN connect other drives.

Zephurious

Distinguished
May 27, 2012
Hmm ok, ill try that tonight. The last time I needed to do a fresh install of windows I was able to do it just fine with all the drives hooked up... I guess I got lucky. Thanks, will update

Zephurious

Distinguished
May 27, 2012
Still randomly reboots under same varied conditions after properly installing windows. I find it hard to believe the power supply is at fault (although I know it isn't a reputable brand). Before swapping out GPU, PSU, Drives, and all peripherals were working perfectly. Could my RAM/MOBO/CPU be faulty? They were all brand new.

kanewolf

Titan
Still randomly reboots under same varied conditions after properly installing windows. I find it hard to believe the power supply is at fault (although I know it isn't a reputable brand). Before swapping out GPU, PSU, Drives, and all peripherals were working perfectly. Could my RAM/MOBO/CPU be faulty? They were all brand new.
Your 1607 BIOS is beyond the minimum required for the 3900X but definitely not the latest. I might start with a BIOS update. There are 6 newer versions.

kanewolf

Titan
A couple things. You can try running memtest86 for 6-8 hours. That will check the stability of your RAM and much of your motherboard.
You could try booting a portable Linux OS to see if it is a Windows related thing.
You are going to have to keep an eye on temps and voltage to see if you can see anything when the reboot happens.

Zephurious

Distinguished
May 27, 2012
I do not have a GPU aside from my 1070
I find it hard to believe that its the gpu just based off of the fact that it worked spectacularly this whole time I've had it... i mean the timespy 3Dmark test and cinebench test caused reboots but the firestrike 3Dmark test ran all the way through with no issue.

Last edited:

Primecarter

Reputable
Apr 19, 2016
Hey, I don't know if I'm allowed to piggyback but I want to follow the thread because I have a pretty similiar setup and problem.

Specs:
Case: Lian Li 011

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X OC/ no OC same problem

MOBO: MSI gaming plus x570

RAM: 32GB [2x16] GSkill Ripjaws DDR4-3600

GPU: MSI Radeon 5700 XT

PSU: EVGA 750+ Platinum

The only thing I'll add is that my computer will run day and night under no gpu load. I've tried using a different card and it still fails to pass gpu benchmarks. Sometimes it can run MSI kombustor no problem but, if i try the heaven benchmark it will always crash either immediately or after a few mins. All my drivers are up to date.

I just want to follow what happens with you and see if you can fix your problem. Maybe it'll be a solution to mine.

Zephurious

Distinguished
May 27, 2012
I don't mind the piggyback, I just really want this resolved haha

I still have the same issue after replacing every single part except my gpu. Will get a new one tomorrow to test.