[SOLVED] Upgraded my CPU, mow I have a black screen

May 16, 2022
Hello, I upgraded my sons CPU on a home build PC, and now I have a black screen, no USB power, and no power button light. But the fans come on the RAM lights up. Any ideas? Here are the specs:

MSI Gaming AMD Ryzen B350 DDR4 VR Ready HDMI USB 3 CFX Micro-ATX Motherboard
Brand MSI
CPU Socket Socket AM4
Compatible Devices Personal Computer
RAM Memory Technology DDR4
Compatible Processors AMD A-Series, AMD Athlon, AMD 1st Gerenration Ryzen
Chipset Type AMD B350
Series B350M PRO-VDH
CPU Model Athlon
Memory Slots Available 4
Number of Ports 11
==========================
Old CPU specs:
AMD Ryzen 3 1200 Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
Brand AMD
CPU Manufacturer AMD
CPU Model Core i9
CPU Speed 3.4 GHz
CPU Socket Socket AM4
==========================
New CPU Specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 6-core, 12-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor with Wraith Stealth Cooler
Brand AMD
CPU Manufacturer AMD
CPU Model Ryzen 5
CPU Speed 4.6 GHz
CPU Socket Socket AM4

Thanks for the help

Solution
Read the bios notes Carefully! For a B350 it's highly doubtful a skip to latest bios will work, you'll most likely need to update the bios in stages (you won't need media files, so disregard those). Many of those older B350 boards had a smaller bios chip, so could not contain the full amount of changes, data, instructions for change etc.

Doing it in stages means less cumulative instructions, so smaller size bios file overall. Also, the B350 was never intended (by vendors) to be Zen2 compliant, only Zen/Zen+, so any Agesa changes etc will be milestone changes, those must be fixed before moving on to newer, as those smaller bios chips could only hold so much info.

It's like you have instructions ABC. The next step up has instructions...
D

Deleted member 362816

Did you update the bios before you installed the 5600x as b350 needs bios update before it will take a newer gen cpu.

If not, Install old cpu, Download new bios and update. Then install new 5600x

Reactions: Kermit911

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Read the bios notes Carefully! For a B350 it's highly doubtful a skip to latest bios will work, you'll most likely need to update the bios in stages (you won't need media files, so disregard those). Many of those older B350 boards had a smaller bios chip, so could not contain the full amount of changes, data, instructions for change etc.

Doing it in stages means less cumulative instructions, so smaller size bios file overall. Also, the B350 was never intended (by vendors) to be Zen2 compliant, only Zen/Zen+, so any Agesa changes etc will be milestone changes, those must be fixed before moving on to newer, as those smaller bios chips could only hold so much info.

It's like you have instructions ABC. The next step up has instructions to change ABC to XYZ. The next milestone has instructions to change XYZ to DEF, but does not contain instructions to change ABC to DEF.

So skipping milestone updates will mean you have a current new version, but still contain ABC data because it never received instructions to change ABC to DEF anywhere along the way. End result being the bios or ram or cpu doesn't work the way it should.

Solution
May 16, 2022

It's like you have instructions ABC. The next step up has instructions to change ABC to XYZ. The next milestone has instructions to change XYZ to DEF, but does not contain instructions to change ABC to DEF.

So skipping milestone updates will mean you have a current new version, but still contain ABC data because it never received instructions to change ABC to DEF anywhere along the way. End result being the bios or ram or cpu doesn't work the way it should.

Ok, so instead of just grabbing the latest BIOS update, I should update it how ever many older versions they have and work my way up to the latest version?

D

Deleted member 362816

Ok, so instead of just grabbing the latest BIOS update, I should update it how ever many older versions they have and work my way up to the latest version?

If you need to upgrade one bios at a time like this user said the website will tell you when you go to download bios. Example Update to bios 1.1 before going to 1.2 warning etc.

Many mainboards sacrificed compatibility with some some first gen CPUs to gain functionality with later generations due to BIOS chip ROM size limitations , so, read all the notes beforehand....(You'd clearly be in a bad spot if , for instance, R3-1200 functionality was lost in one of the BIOS updates unless the 5600X worked great with that update..; because if neither then worked, you'd be in a 'pickle'! )

May 16, 2022
OK, so I installed the old processor back in the PC, updated the BIOS to the latest version. I also made sure that Windows is updated and his NVIDIA graphics card is updated. I re-installed the new processor. The good news is that the keyboard, mouse and monitor all power on and stay on. The bad news is that it will only boot into the BIOS. I hit save and exit and it boots right into the BIOS again. There are no CD's or USB or any external storage devices plugged in. Any ideas?

May 16, 2022
OK, so I installed the old processor back in the PC, updated the BIOS to the latest version. I also made sure that Windows is updated and his NVIDIA graphics card is updated. I re-installed the new processor. The good news is that the keyboard, mouse and monitor all power on and stay on. The bad news is that it will only boot into the BIOS. I hit save and exit and it boots right into the BIOS again. There are no CD's or USB or any external storage devices plugged in. Any ideas?

Disregard, I was going to delete the last post but I figured I would leave it up just incase something like this happened to some other pour soul. Somehow the power plugs came unplugged from both hard drives. I have since plugged them in and it is working. Thank you all for everything.