[SOLVED] Upgraded my fans but no changes to temps.

gregjmonaghan

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019
Heya, hoping to get a little clarification from better minds than mine please.

I've recently gone about updating my set up a bit and something I have wanted to do for a while was improve on the cooling.

When I ordered my PC it's suffice to say I didn't know enough about airflow and bought a corsair 275Q. It's the one with the sound dampening on the inside and after recently watching some reviews realised it really isn't the most effecient at keeping temperatures down. To try and improve things I have been testing with the front panel off and not using the top panel, both of which massively restrict air flow in and out of the system. I have put some dust mesh on top to stop any dust getting in, but this is thin and seems to allow a good amount of air through.
I also ordered two extra fans when I purchased it, again my ignorance meant I ended up with the two base fans the unit comes with (low end corsair 120's) and two incredibly cheap 140mm from Novatech. They cost £2.50 each. The build quality on them is, well just using the word quality in the same sentence is probably a sin.

So I digress... I upgraded to some Arctic Bionix F140s and 120s. I've read mixed reports on them from random people on reddit, but the youtube reviews I watched were quite positive and I couldnt justify the money on Noctuas right now. I, again quite possibly naively, expected some kind of performance increase. Now I didn't think I'd be trimming 10 degrees off of my temps, but I expected something and I've got no decrease in temps at all. (I have been using System Resource Manager and HWMonitor to get reports ffrom different programs to make sure the readings are mostly accurate)

I am currently using the two 140s as front intakes and the two 120s as exhausts, one on the back and one above the CPU cooler. I'm an extremely talented graphic designer so I knocked this up so you can see the placement and layout of the rest of the case.*
High res pic of pc - imgur link

So I am wondering, is this due to placement of my fans? The set up seems quite standard.
Is it because I have too much positive airflow and the two exhaust fans cannot keep up with the two 140s drawing air in? I could try another in the space on the right of the other top exhaust but I'm worried it will be too close to the intake and possibly start drawing out the cold air the top intake provides
Is it that the case really is just that bad? Could I maybe dremmel out a section on the side, put some more dust mesh in and hope that helps with the heat being held in by I assume the sound deadening?

This was a really long winded post and if you read it all or even had time to reply I appreciate it greatly.

Many thanks,
-Greg

*Obviously I'm joking, I work in B&Q ha.

Solution
I think you are expecting and watching for the wrong thing. BUT that is based on an assumption: that you have your fans connected to mobo fan headers AND that they are in the default settings to use automatic fan speed control. If that is so, then follow this.

Any mobo has two automatic fan control systems IF you use them as designed. (You do have options to use them other ways.) To use those, though, you must plug your fans into mobo fan headers, and not into power outputs from the PSU. PSU power is fixed and can only run fans at full speed, unless you have some manual device like a fan speed control button on the case. Mobo fan headers are capable (set by default) of automatically changing fan speed according to workload.

Both...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Typical tradeoff for these chassis marketed for 'silence' is cooling performance. The sound dampening foam apparently works on specific kinds of sounds.
If you wanted both silence and cooling, then a mesh model is the way to go; that would let you run your fans as low as you wanted without turning the box into a furnace.

With the 275Q, you'll now find yourself having to brute force air in and out with stronger, and louder fans - defeating the purpose of the chassis.
There's a limit to what you can cram into this chassis and still have reasonable thermals - say, 80C-ish?
The image looks to be correct too, but what kind of hardware did you put in there?

dimtodim

Reputable

I've recently gone about updating my set up a bit and something I have wanted to do for a while was improve on the cooling.

When I ordered my PC it's suffice to say I didn't know enough about airflow and bought a corsair 275Q. It's the one with the sound dampening on the inside and after recently watching some reviews realised it really isn't the most effecient at keeping temperatures down. To try and improve things I have been testing with the front panel off and not using the top panel, both of which massively restrict air flow in and out of the system. I have put some dust mesh on top to stop any dust getting in, but this is thin and seems to allow a good amount of air through.
I also ordered two extra fans when I purchased it, again my ignorance meant I ended up with the two base fans the unit comes with (low end corsair 120's) and two incredibly cheap 140mm from Novatech. They cost £2.50 each. The build quality on them is, well just using the word quality in the same sentence is probably a sin.

So I digress... I upgraded to some Arctic Bionix F140s and 120s. I've read mixed reports on them from random people on reddit, but the youtube reviews I watched were quite positive and I couldnt justify the money on Noctuas right now. I, again quite possibly naively, expected some kind of performance increase. Now I didn't think I'd be trimming 10 degrees off of my temps, but I expected something and I've got no decrease in temps at all. (I have been using System Resource Manager and HWMonitor to get reports ffrom different programs to make sure the readings are mostly accurate)

I am currently using the two 140s as front intakes and the two 120s as exhausts, one on the back and one above the CPU cooler. I'm an extremely talented graphic designer so I knocked this up so you can see the placement and layout of the rest of the case.*

So I am wondering, is this due to placement of my fans? The set up seems quite standard.
Is it because I have too much positive airflow and the two exhaust fans cannot keep up with the two 140s drawing air in? I could try another in the space on the right of the other top exhaust but I'm worried it will be too close to the intake and possibly start drawing out the cold air the top intake provides
Is it that the case really is just that bad? Could I maybe dremmel out a section on the side, put some more dust mesh in and hope that helps with the heat being held in by I assume the sound deadening?

This was a really long winded post and if you read it all or even had time to reply I appreciate it greatly.

Many thanks,
-Greg

big mistake is that case u even can have good airflow :)...best option is buy new case...and sold that if u can

gregjmonaghan

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019
Typical tradeoff for these chassis marketed for 'silence' is cooling performance. The sound dampening foam apparently works on specific kinds of sounds.
If you wanted both silence and cooling, then a mesh model is the way to go; that would let you run your fans as low as you wanted without turning the box into a furnace.

With the 275Q, you'll now find yourself having to brute force air in and out with stronger, and louder fans - defeating the purpose of the chassis.
There's a limit to what you can cram into this chassis and still have reasonable thermals - say, 80C-ish?
The image looks to be correct too, but what kind of hardware did you put in there?

Honestly the silence part was a non issue for me, the case I ordered was out of stock and they offered me this one, it looked smart so I accepted. Im not too fussed about noise tbh
Wasnt sure if I should list specs or not as it was a long post but as follows;

MSI Z390 Tomohawk
I7 - 9700k with noctua cooler ( I forget which one but seems to be a possibly 92mm fan at 25mm depth, push only not push-pull)
4x8GB LPX vengence 3200
3 x Samsung EVO 860s of various sizes (dont think this would affect anything much)
And up until a month ago a 1080Ti, which never really had any problems. I had to RMA it and they couldnt repair so I got a refund and am waiting on my ASUS 3080 to arrive. At the moment I am using an old gtx970 I picked up second hand on the cheap

I should probably mention there really isnt any space for more fans apart from along the top.

The CPU is running at between 40 to 63 ish while gaming, and 29 to 45 while on chrome / watching youtube.
GPU runs about 69 to 74 while gaming and 30 to 35 give or take while on chrome and watching youtube.
I'm concerned that these will rise considerably with the arrival of the 3080 as at the moment because the card is reasonably low powered I am running games at low settings and at 2560x 1440, my screen is a native 3440 x 1440 but the 970 cannot handle it. Obviosuly I am hoping to start playing at higher settins btu realise this means my temps will rise.

I get changing the case would likely be the best option but I don't have complete faith in my ability to do this without breaking something and the bank is a little dry now after buying the 3080 and the fans so i cannot afford to relace anything I may break :)
Also every case on the market these days has a glass side panel and that really isnt my thing...

Edit: If I do end up going the route of a new case, my mother board is as I understand an ATX, that means I need an ATX case right?

Thankyou for the reply by the way

gregjmonaghan

Prominent
Jan 15, 2019
big mistake is that case u even can have good airflow :)...best option is buy new case...and sold that if u can
Selling likely isnt an option at this point, I have drilled nearly a thousand small holes in the front panel to try and turn it into almost mesh so if i do have the front panel on it can actually draw air. In testing the front panel now doesnt make any difference when its on or off.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Honestly the silence part was a non issue for me, the case I ordered was out of stock and they offered me this one, it looked smart so I accepted. Im not too fussed about noise tbh

MSI Z390 Tomohawk
I7 - 9700k with noctua cooler ( I forget which one but seems to be a possibly 92mm fan at 25mm depth, push only not push-pull)
4x8GB LPX vengence 3200
3 x Samsung EVO 860s of various sizes (dont think this would affect anything much)
And up until a month ago a 1080Ti, which never really had any problems. I had to RMA it and they couldnt repair so I got a refund and am waiting on my ASUS 3080 to arrive. At the moment I am using an old gtx970 I picked up second hand on the cheap

I should probably mention there really isnt any space for more fans apart from along the top.

The CPU is running at between 40 to 63 ish while gaming, and 29 to 45 while on chrome / watching youtube.
GPU runs about 69 to 74 while gaming and 30 to 35 give or take while on chrome and watching youtube.
I'm concerned that these will rise considerably with the arrival of the 3080 as at the moment because the card is reasonably low powered I am running games at low settings and at 2560x 1440, my screen is a native 3440 x 1440 but the 970 cannot handle it. Obviosuly I am hoping to start playing at higher settins btu realise this means my temps will rise.

I get changing the case would likely be the best option but I don't have complete faith in my ability to do this without breaking something and the bank is a little dry now after buying the 3080 and the fans so i cannot afford to relace anything I may break :)
Also every case on the market these days has a glass side panel and that really isnt my thing...

Edit: If I do end up going the route of a new case, my mother board is as I understand an ATX, that means I need an ATX case right?

I see no problems with those temperatures. Everything looks fine to me!

dimtodim

Reputable

MSI Z390 Tomohawk
4x8GB LPX vengence 3200

I can
t agree about case on market with plastic front panel... U can find good case with good air flow but not flashy... People these days love pc case look like circus ☺... I cant see point... do u look rgb lights or monitor and work on pc ☺

I see no problems with those temperatures. Everything looks fine to me!

I agree and I think generally intake airflow is more of an issue than exhaust.

The 3080 doesn't actually run that much hotter tha lower powered cards, you have decent exhaust airflow there, you should be fine.

I'd argue getting hot air out of the case can be more important than bringing cool air in.

If anything cpu temps may increase and in all honesty a 92mm cooler (even the noctua nhu9s which I'm guessing you own) isn't really good enough for a 9700k anyway

Sep 30, 2020

Many thanks,
-Greg

try flipping the top fan so it blows straight down in the cpu. then take the other and put it in the front of the top and the other fans below it. and make sure the one in the rear is your exhaust fan. i have 6 corsair ll led fans that i run like that and my system stay nice and cool. i have a push/pull on my 240mm radiator in the front. 1 on top blowing down on the cpu cooler and the last one on the back for exhaust. was running a 1080ti till i killed it with a stupid misplaced thermal pad during reassembly. but my temps never get above 70c. my cpu is an 8700k delidded and running 5.1ghz all cores. so it can crank some heat when its under load. and my 1080ti was oc'd as well. and like i said before i stayed under 70c.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I think you are expecting and watching for the wrong thing. BUT that is based on an assumption: that you have your fans connected to mobo fan headers AND that they are in the default settings to use automatic fan speed control. If that is so, then follow this.

Any mobo has two automatic fan control systems IF you use them as designed. (You do have options to use them other ways.) To use those, though, you must plug your fans into mobo fan headers, and not into power outputs from the PSU. PSU power is fixed and can only run fans at full speed, unless you have some manual device like a fan speed control button on the case. Mobo fan headers are capable (set by default) of automatically changing fan speed according to workload.

Both control systems work the same way. They really are TEMPERATURE control systems, not fan speed controls. One control system is focussed on the CPU chip. That is, each has a temperature target, and it simply manipulates a fan speed to achieve that target. One system focusses on the CPU chip, and uses as refernce a temperature sensor built into the CPU itself. The mobo gets that signal from a chip pin and, based on knowing which chip is installed, it has pre-set values for the ideal operating temperture, the max, and a couple other items of control parameters. Whatever the temperature is by measurement, it changes its output to the fan to alter air flow that cools that chip - by changing the fan speed. It really does not know or care what the fan speed is, it just will do what it takes to get the temp where it should be.

The second such system works in exactly the same way, but it uses a different temp sensor built into the mobo, and that measurement should be the reference for the SYS_FAN headers that you plug you case fans into for cooling the case interior. Of course, this has a different temp target etc.

So, when you upgrade your fans, there is no change in the temperature targets the mobo BIOS is using - they're already set for the hardware you have. What CAN change, though, is two things. If your new fans are better, they will be able to deliver the same air flow and system cooling at lower speeds, so they may be quieter and last longer. And whenever you really increase the workload to max out your system, those new fans may well have more reserve capacity to deliver high air flows if needed to keep ahead of the heat generation, whereas your older ones never would have been able to do that. This latter factor you would not notice at low ro moderate workloads, and the quieter operation at low speed may not be such a big difference that you would notice.

Better fans may give you the ability to work harder and faster with upgraded hardware, which you may be doing as a graphics designer.

Solution