Question Upgraded my GPU, same performance!!!

Apr 12, 2020
Upgraded from a 2060 super to 2080 super from zotac. (also upgraded from a 3600 to 3700x) Tried out some games and the performance is almost the exact same, as well as the zotac and geforce rtx LED's not being lit in the case (may have something to do with it). Drivers are updated. Maybe something to do with power connectors? Drivers from my previous card overriding the new? I'm really stumped.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Which games? What are your complete system specs?
Did you run any benchmarks on the old GPU? Heaven, Firestrike, Singularity?
I played COD Warzone, averaged 90-110 fps, and GTA V, averaged 50-70 fps

rest of pc:
16GB 3600 ram
GIGABYTE X570 AORUS elite wifi

Unfortunatly I didn't do benchmarks, but I still have the other pc and I can get them in a little bit

These framerates as far as I remember are completely identical.

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Hard disks? PSU?

Human memory is overrated, unfortunately.

Games are also wildly different beasts altogether, and may change depending on circumstances, as some people use Nvidia Experience to adjust their games quality settings automatically. This will of course bring better quality visuals, but the same FPS range.

Make sure you vertical synchronization is set to Fast or G-Sync, whichever applies to your setup.

Could you download CPU-Z, choose the zip version, extract the files into a pre-made folder, then run the x64 version.

Please take screenshots - and crop them if you feel like it - of the CPU, Mainboard, Memory, SPD and Graphics tabs in CPU-Z. Then upload to imgur or any other picture hosting site and link here.

Preferably just links, I don't mind the pictures, but not everyone here has infinite internet. xD

I will be headed to work in about 30 minutes, just FYI.

Apr 12, 2020
Hard disks? PSU?

Human memory is overrated, unfortunately.

Games are also wildly different beasts altogether, and may change depending on circumstances, as some people use Nvidia Experience to adjust their games quality settings automatically. This will of course bring better quality visuals, but the same FPS range.

Make sure you vertical synchronization is set to Fast or G-Sync, whichever applies to your setup.

Could you download CPU-Z, choose the zip version, extract the files into a pre-made folder, then run the x64 version.

Please take screenshots - and crop them if you feel like it - of the CPU, Mainboard, Memory, SPD and Graphics tabs in CPU-Z. Then upload to imgur or any other picture hosting site and link here.

Preferably just links, I don't mind the pictures, but not everyone here has infinite internet. xD

I will be headed to work in about 30 minutes, just FYI.
Heres the links:
View: https://imgur.com/UKetOUr

View: https://imgur.com/sS2Gix0

View: https://imgur.com/b9dbzsM

View: https://imgur.com/SViugTL

View: https://imgur.com/W50phxy

View: https://imgur.com/6bvRnk0

EVGA 850 watt PSU
no hard drive, though I had to clone my old drives into my new ssd

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Okay, everything looks in working order, except one thing.

You may have bought 3600 XMP RAM but you are not using them at all, they are running default speed at 2600MHz and not 3600MHz.

Go into your bios, look for XMP or DOCP settings, choose 3600MHz @ 1.350 Volts.

That should net you at least 10%'ish performance alone.

Apr 12, 2020
Okay, everything looks in working order, except one thing.

You may have bought 3600 XMP RAM but you are not using them at all, they are running default speed at 2600MHz and not 3600MHz.

Go into your bios, look for XMP or DOCP settings, choose 3600MHz @ 1.350 Volts.

That should net you at least 10%'ish performance alone.
Sounds good, hopefully it fixes it...

edit: my bios is only allowing me to select Profile 1 for my ram, and doesn’t let me change anything.. before it was set to auto

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
As long as profile 1 says 3600MHz that should be fine.
Looks to be at 3600 now. I’m also updating bios while I’m at it, and I’ll run a couple games and see how it does.

edit:
Updating bois worked... mustve been an older version I used, and performance is how it should be. Very pleased. NOTE: ram is STILL at 2600 mhz, not sure whats going on there..

Last edited:
What resolution are you gaming at, and is it the same resolution you were gaming at before? And are you playing these games at max or reduced graphics settings?

If it's only at 1080p or below, or you are playing at reduced settings, with many games you will likely find that your performance is limited by the other components in your system more than by your the graphics card. Getting your RAM running at it's full rated speed would likely help if that's the case, at least to some degree.

Apr 12, 2020
What resolution are you gaming at, and is it the same resolution you were gaming at before? And are you playing these games at max or reduced graphics settings?

If it's only at 1080p or below, or you are playing at reduced settings, with many games you will likely find that your performance is limited by the other components in your system more than by your the graphics card. Getting your RAM running at it's full rated speed would likely help if that's the case, at least to some degree.
Same resolution, same graphics settings...

Although I updating bios again just now worked, mustve been an older version I installed earlier... ram is still at 2666-ish mhz though?? really weird, I can't fix it..

Last edited:

poorbugger

Distinguished
Same resolution, same graphics settings...

Although I updating bios again just now worked, mustve been an older version I installed earlier... ram is still at 2666-ish mhz though?? really weird, I can't fix it..

But yes, the performance is pretty much how it should be.. very pleased disregarding the ram
Can you run the heaven benchmark and tell me your scores? On the 2080 super.

If a graphics card upgrade did not yield more fps, it indicates that your games were more cpu limited.

When you upgraded from a 3600 to a 3700X you essentially got 4 more threads, but the single thread performance was only marginally better.
Your games are more likely cpu centric than gpu.
Most games do not make effective use of more than 6 threads so your results are disappointing but not that surprising
You could experiment with overclocking, but the x suffix versions come mostly overclocked so don't expect much.

Apr 12, 2020
If a graphics card upgrade did not yield more fps, it indicates that your games were more cpu limited.

When you upgraded from a 3600 to a 3700X you essentially got 4 more threads, but the single thread performance was only marginally better.
Your games are more likely cpu centric than gpu.
Most games do not make effective use of more than 6 threads so your results are disappointing but not that surprising
You could experiment with overclocking, but the x suffix versions come mostly overclocked so don't expect much.
I get it, makes sense to me... the only thing is my expectations going into it. As an example, COD Warzone (which I know is cpu intensive) benchmarks on youtube with my exact system or worse, fps reaching well above my averages (being roughly 100-120) whereas they reach an average of 140 ish. And GTAV, people reaching 90-110 fps whereas I'm at 60-80. And this is a completely fresh system. Does it have anything to do with my ram? My mobo underclocked it to 2666mhz whereas it should be 3600... Recon I should order a replacement for anything?

Apr 12, 2020
Are you sure it's still on 2666MHz? Could you take a picture of the bios with your phone, with the XMP profile, just on EZ mode.

In CPU-Z Memory tab it says 1333 or 1800MHz on Dram frequency?
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0iuTogR_a_cYtU7QsPoZG-FHQ
CPU-Z says for each stick exactly “2666mhz (1333mhz)”. Not really sure what it means.

Last edited:
CPU-Z says for each stick exactly “2666mhz (1333mhz)”. Not really sure what it means.
DDR= double data rate. 1333MHz x 2 = 2666MT/s. Looking at your screenshots of CPU-Z, it looks like you have manually entered 2666 or it's never changing when XMP is set to the 3600 profile. I suggest resetting all the memory timings to auto and then setting the XMP for 3600 or restore the bios to factory defaults and start over. Sometimes it's a good idea to reset the bios when changing CPUs.

Apr 12, 2020
DDR= double data rate. 1333MHz x 2 = 2666MT/s. Looking at your screenshots of CPU-Z, it looks like you have manually entered 2666 or it's never changing when XMP is set to the 3600 profile. I suggest resetting all the memory timings to auto and then setting the XMP for 3600 or restore the bios to factory defaults and start over. Sometimes it's a good idea to reset the bios when changing CPUs.
Leaving everything default also sets the ram to 2666 unfortunatly, but I can try setting it to profile 1, and just auto for the other setting.

I believe I found the problem though. My motherboards list of RAM models (eg. CWSZ23600XB) that are comparable do not list the one I bought, and overall does not list any Corsair 16GB 3600mhz kits. Not only would it perhaps underclock the speed but maybe overall instability for all components? This would solve issue...

Let me know if you think ordering a new kit would fix my performance problems.

Leaving everything default also sets the ram to 2666 unfortunatly, but I can try setting it to profile 1, and just auto for the other setting.

I believe I found the problem though. My motherboards list of RAM models (eg. CWSZ23600XB) that are comparable do not list the one I bought, and overall does not list any Corsair 16GB 3600mhz kits. Not only would it perhaps underclock the speed but maybe overall instability for all components? This would solve issue...

Let me know if you think ordering a new kit would fix my performance problems.
Just because ram isn't on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work. It just means ram that has been tested and is known to work with the motherboard.

The ram should not be defaulting to 2666, it should be defaulting to 2133 CL15 or CL16, which is why I suggested resetting bios. Manually adjusting the speed, primary timings and voltage is your best alternative if XMP still doesn't work after resetting the bios to defaults.

Apr 12, 2020
Just because ram isn't on the QVL doesn't mean it won't work. It just means ram that has been tested and is known to work with the motherboard.

The ram should not be defaulting to 2666, it should be defaulting to 2133 CL15 or CL16, which is why I suggested resetting bios. Manually adjusting the speed, primary timings and voltage is your best alternative if XMP still doesn't work after resetting the bios to defaults.
One thing you can try doing is to manually set the speed, timings, and voltage for the RAM to that which is printed on the stickers on the ram themselves

I'll try it.. and where can you edit them?

EDIT: Setting it to Profile 1 enables XMP and is SUPPOSED to set the correct mhz and timing, which I tried. CPU-Z and the Easy Mode BIOS dashboard say otherwise, still at 2666mhz... I can't find any other ways to manually set them to their correct speeds. Wtf is going on?!

-This must be the thing hurting my performance. The 3700x doesnt love lower memory speeds, which on top of that must've started a larger bottleneck (stock 5% bottleneck with 2080 super).

Would that make sense?

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0iuTogR_a_cYtU7QsPoZG-FHQ

Does this tab show 1800MHz?

And, please show me the entire screen of the BIOS, as I'm pretty sure I can spot a 3 and 6 right by your "Memory Frequency" Which is below "CPU Frequency".

If that is true, you are golden! :)

Apr 12, 2020
Does this tab show 1800MHz?

And, please show me the entire screen of the BIOS, as I'm pretty sure I can spot a 3 and 6 right by your "Memory Frequency" Which is below "CPU Frequency".

If that is true, you are golden! :)

it does shows 1800!
https://share.icloud.com/photos/00VSwxOkLt8DamGdqCeBKFAYw

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0S5EFvtirZar76gzZ-jTiNyRg

It’s giving me mixed signals... the memory frequency clearly says 3600 but not on the actual status of the DRAM (like in the photo and in cpu-z)

And for my build, my performance hasn’t been what I expected after watching hundreds of benchmarking videos with this exact setup.. Since the 3700x works best with high frequencies, I feel the ram at a low frequency may be starting a larger bottleneck to the cpu (5% stock with 2080 s) and causing inconsistent fps... do you think that’s possible? I’m still relatively new to this stuff but that’s what I’m getting from it.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0CvQWqvarwJrFBKX5PsmgU0Xw

In this photo, I’m trying to manually set my voltage to 1.350 V as it should be, but it seems to automatically clock back down to 1.2, this may cause MXP to not take full affect...?

Last edited: