Question Upgraded my GPU, same performance!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 12, 2020
Upgraded from a 2060 super to 2080 super from zotac. (also upgraded from a 3600 to 3700x) Tried out some games and the performance is almost the exact same, as well as the zotac and geforce rtx LED's not being lit in the case (may have something to do with it). Drivers are updated. Maybe something to do with power connectors? Drivers from my previous card overriding the new? I'm really stumped.

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Your RAM is at least now running as intended.

It's not really mixed signals. The -Memory tab- with the DRAM frequency shows your actual speed. The -SPD tab- with slot selection shows you the Dram original speed pre-XMP(which is technically an overclock).

What kind of hard drives do you have? SSD's or ye olden spinny discs?
What are you using as a cooler for the CPU?

If your RAM was starved for voltage, you'd be having trouble booting and run into bluescreens and other maladies.

The DRAM voltage you can set to 1.350V, you must then set Dram Termination to 0.675V. But this isn't necessary, your RAM is running fine.

You can download Memtest64 from Techpowerup.com and NOWHERE else.
It's an adequate test of your memory integrity and stability, but not a complete test, as those have to preferably run over night.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Your RAM is at least now running as intended.

It's not really mixed signals. The -Memory tab- with the DRAM frequency shows your actual speed. The -SPD tab- with slot selection shows you the Dram original speed pre-XMP(which is technically an overclock).

What kind of hard drives do you have? SSD's or ye olden spinny discs?
What are you using as a cooler for the CPU?

If your RAM was starved for voltage, you'd be having trouble booting and run into bluescreens and other maladies.
As long as it’s running at 3600. I set the proper timings, voltage, multiplier, set it at preset 1, and just now “level 3” in MXP settings in bios and fps seemed a lot better in some games at first, then launched again and I'm still not sure. As long as you can confirm I'm at 3600, it may be another problem to why the performance hasn't been what my expectations were (after like I said earlier dozens of benchmarks)

I have a kraken x63 cooler and a 2TB m.2 ssd.

5 minutes so far of testing the ram, no errors

Last edited:

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
If you're happy, I'm happy. xD

Your cooler and SSD's are both great, so you're golden there.

You can download HWINFO64 choose -sensors only-, then click the 2 expanding arrows at the bottom LEFT of the window until all values are shown and let it run in the background, then go play some games.

Put a screenshot of the window here after an hour or so gaming, perhaps even different games.

Apr 12, 2020

You can download HWINFO64 choose -sensors only-, then click the 2 expanding arrows at the bottom LEFT of the window until all values are shown and let it run in the background, then go play some games.

Put a screenshot of the window here after an hour or so gaming, perhaps even different games.
Thanks man.
I’ll let it run for a bit.

EDIT:

View: https://imgur.com/Hgtp9Uj

heres the status after 30 ish minutes (had to go eat dinner)

Played:
  • GTAV (which runs poorly for some reason-20-30 less fps than it should D: )
  • MW Warzone (ran decently well)
  • Far Cry 5 (ran great)
all in all much better after going into bios for the ram, and sorry I couldn't play more games lol

- Let me know if you see anything odd, might explain my terrible fps in GTA

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
I dont think your gpu is underperforming.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRX8QdIGbsI

From this video, the score is only a hundred higher and that's because he overclocked it
Well that’s good to hear. Maybe the gpu isn’t the problem?

Call me crazy, but gaming performance is simply not what my expectations were. 15-30 less fps on average than people with the exact same setup (at least for the games I play)
Seems a bit weird to me that’s all. Sorry to bother ya if I am crazy indeed.
From what I see, the fps in games is way more inconsistent and unstable in comparison...

If maybe it’s just me once again sorry to bother ya about this.

poorbugger

Distinguished
Well that’s good to hear. Maybe the gpu isn’t the problem?

Call me crazy, but gaming performance is simply not what my expectations were. 15-30 less fps on average than people with the exact same setup (at least for the games I play)
Seems a bit weird to me that’s all. Sorry to bother ya if I am crazy indeed.
From what I see, the fps in games is way more inconsistent and unstable in comparison...

If maybe it’s just me once again sorry to bother ya about this.
15 to 30 can mean a lot of things. When you're pushing high fps, it's no longer only gpu but cpu comes in play. You had slower ram speed which you fixed by now and also overclocking cpu will also help out

Apr 12, 2020
15 to 30 can mean a lot of things. When you're pushing high fps, it's no longer only gpu but cpu comes in play. You had slower ram speed which you fixed by now and also overclocking cpu will also help out
Right, and yes clocking the RAM back to normal helped for sure.
I’ll try overclocking the cpu next and see what it changes.
Thanks man.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Overclocking a Ryzen is mostly done on ALL cores, and Unigine Heaven runs on a single-core for the benchmark, you will see worse results there. Games like Far Cry New Dawn or Red Dead Redemption, World of Tanks/Warships will see an improvement as those games utilize 6 or more cores.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
heres the status after 30 ish minutes (had to go eat dinner)

Played:
  • GTAV (which runs poorly for some reason-20-30 less fps than it should D: )
  • MW Warzone (ran decently well)
  • Far Cry 5 (ran great)
all in all much better after going into bios for the ram, and sorry I couldn't play more games lol

- Let me know if you see anything odd, might explain my terrible fps in GTA

You need to play around with the window size there buddy! :D

I need to see the Maximum and average too, all I can see are the current statistics, which are useful sure but far from the whole story.
You can play around with Expand and Contract feature, plus adjusting the window size to have ALL the info visible.

Apr 12, 2020
You need to play around with the window size there buddy! :D

I need to see the Maximum and average too, all I can see are the current statistics, which are useful sure but far from the whole story.
You can play around with Expand and Contract feature, plus adjusting the window size to have ALL the info visible.

Ah, I’ll extend it out fully (I think I did originally but I should’ve just left it instead of putting it on my other monitor)

I’ll run the test again for longer and I’ll get back to you

Apr 12, 2020

View: https://imgur.com/YqBDF90

Here it is again. Let me know if I should do it once again? Any other games you recommend for testing?

Seriously its starting to get me a little frustrated... The FPS overall is good it just fluctuates too much and will drop consistently depending on what im doing. Right as I get in game it is at its best, then a minute later its back to normal and goes all over the place... Let me know if you see anything weird

FYI - this is with GPU overclocked to 8242mhz and CPU to 3.9Ghz - ultimately made no diference.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-u29BSBXzQ&t=2s

- as you can see, this guy barely ever goes down to 120ish, while consistently being between 130-150fps
(in gta for me, same deal - Ill drop down to the 60s after playing for a bit, while others will stay 90-100)

I do remember reinstalling the cooler as it was in the wrong position at first, which could have interfered with the pre applied thermal paste? Should I re-apply?

Apr 12, 2020
Starting to get frustrated with this new build. The framerates are no where near as good as I've seen people get with this exact same build.

The games I've been mostly testing:
  • COD Warzone
  • GTAV
  • Far Cry 5
Here's the build:
Ryzen 3700X
Zotac 2080 super
16GB 3600mhz
Gigabyte AORUS Elite X570
EVGA 850 watt
Kraken X63 AIO
2TB m.2 SSD

Now of course depending on what you are doing in the game, the fps will fluctuate. And shown the the reference videos below, they do, in Warzone reaching upwards of 160-170 in certain areas, and down to 120-130 in others.

Me on the other hand, upwards of 140-ish then will CONSTANTLY climb down to mid 90's and 100's, which sure is good, but not what I payed for a definitely not my expectations going into it. (my old 2060 super did consistently 90-110 usually)

Same with GTAV, when I get in game it can be 90-110, as it should be, then once I start driving around it can crawl all the way down to low 60's.

Far Cry 5 seems a little more consistent but can drop down a little, but not too bad.

Here's the benchmark videos I'm referencing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-u29BSBXzQ&t=6s

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs0zauJd7wo

Here's HWiNFO64 after roughly half hour of playing those 3 games (with CPU overclocked 3.9ghz and GPU overclocked to 8242mhz):
View: https://imgur.com/YqBDF90

Here's my Heaven benchmark (not overclocked):
https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0jcow9XplvMP89F7MKU9_EKWA

Maybe I'm just crazy, but overall I feel the framerates are too inconsistent and fluctuate too often and too severely.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2020
Unless you do a fresh install of Windows when you change motherboards/chipsets it's impossible to diagnose the issue. I would start with a clean install of Windows and any motherboard and video card drivers.
I installed windows two different ways - through a installation tool and through the “reset pc” option in settings. Still the same... virus protectors detect nothing as well.
Done clean install of nvidea drivers, install of bios, and chipset drivers.
Any other advice would be appreciated, but I see why there’s no reason for concern, and I may just have to live with it...