Upgraded my i5 7600K to i7 7700K...2 questions?

reece_murphie

Prominent
Jan 8, 2018
Hey guys, FIRST TIME POSTER =)
I have just recently bought and installed an i7 7700K to upgrade from my i5 7600K.
One of my questions are....what kind of change should I be seeing from a gaming perspective? It worked out to be an excellent deal, with selling old CPU and my paypal balance (selling other old parts) its really only cost me about $40.

My goal is to play games on ultra settings at 2K resolution, and my current build is...
-MSI B250M Bazooka Mobo
-i7 7700k CPU
-Coolermaster Hyper 212X Fan cooler
-Coolermaster V650 Gold PSU
-MSI GTX 1080 8GB GPU
-16GB DDR4 2400 G.Skill Ripjaws V RAM
-16GB DDR4 2666 Ballistix Tactical RAM (won in a competition recently, i have set them both to run at 2400 in BIOS)

My current monitor is old, its a SAMSUNG SyncMaster B2440. So my second question is, what type of monitor should I be looking at? I would probably be waiting till the start of next year so I have time to save (2 kids and a mortgage lol)

Thank you in advance guys, this is my first build and I am over the moon with moving from mainly console to now PC. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated =)

Solution
The boost in FPS depends on the game. Anything from nothing up to maybe 20%. At 2k your gpu is heavily loaded and any cpu gains will be a little less, you only see a gain of the gpu can utilise the extra cpu performance. That said it will be a great setup for 2k.

For monitor I’d be looking at 2k 144Hz or greater. Things like G-Sync & panel type are more personal choice and budget decisions.
The boost in FPS depends on the game. Anything from nothing up to maybe 20%. At 2k your gpu is heavily loaded and any cpu gains will be a little less, you only see a gain of the gpu can utilise the extra cpu performance. That said it will be a great setup for 2k.

For monitor I’d be looking at 2k 144Hz or greater. Things like G-Sync & panel type are more personal choice and budget decisions.

Solution