[SOLVED] Upgraded my motherboard, updated drivers and lost features

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
So my system had realtek hd audio manager installed, which had a tab called 'room correction' which allowed me to input the distance my 5.1 speakers are from my chair for balanced sound.

When I switched motherboard, I uninstalled all my old drivers and got new ones (kept the same windows install), only to find the new realtek drivers didn't even have the audio manager AT ALL (?!). So I did some digging and found older versions that still have the manager, but I haven't found a single version that still has the room correction tab... it's just gone.

I'm pretty dumbfounded to how newer versions of drivers are objectively worse in every department and removed the most important feature... Does anyone know how I can get this back? I've been trying to sort this machine out for 7 hours today after doing 6 hours last night, and this problem is the last remaining issue before I can declare my mobo change a victory!

GA-990FXA-UD3-rev-4
8GB x2 DDR3 XMP 1600mhz
1060 60GB
Various SSDs and HDDs
FX-8370 overclocked

Colif

Win 11 Master
there are 2 versions of realtek drivers

the old that include the HD Audio Manager
the new that come as 2 parts.
1 part is the drivers from Realtek
2nd part is the Audio console that you can download from the win 10 store.

2nd drivers are for win 10, clearly if you have win 7 they won't work.

I assume something like this is what you were after?
ZuI0Fpb.jpg

that is the audio console

Last edited:

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
there are 2 versions of realtek drivers

the old that include the HD Audio Manager
the new that come as 2 parts.
1 part is the drivers from Realtek
2nd part is the Audio console that you can download from the win 10 store.

2nd drivers are for win 10, clearly if you have win 7 they won't work.

I assume something like this is what you were after?
ZuI0Fpb.jpg

that is the audio console

I should have been more specific, I am running win 10. What I'm looking for is specifically the room correction functionality, which was working fine in win10 for me until I tried to replace my driver. Below you can see the room correction tab is there, but on every version of realtek I've tried since, the sound effects and room correction tabs were missing. At this point the only thing I can think of is to use Macrium to restore the image I made of my OS before changing my motherboard, but that means I'll have to redo all the driver stuff I've done and its such a long process with a risk of corruption too, that I'd rather not have to do that if it can be avoided.

Realtek-HD-Audio-Manager-Missing-1580x800_c.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
try this

Method 2: If you are using Realtek Audio (Card/Drivers)
This method is to be used by users that have Realtek audio drivers on their computer.

Fire up the pop-menu above the start button by pressing “Windows key + X”

Select “Device manager” from the list.

Now go to the “Sound, video and game controllers” section.

Here, you should search for “Realtek High Definition Audio” under the list of audio device drivers. Right click and select “Disable”.

Right click again and this time click on “Update driver software”

Opt for “Browse my computer for driver software”

Now go for “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”

A window asking you to select the driver that you want to install for the device should now appear.

You might see a list of available drivers. Click on “High definition audio device” and then hit “Next”

When asked, select “Yes” and a confirmation window should appear indicating that the process has completed.

When asked to reboot, say yes.

We have essentially just replaced the Realtek audio drivers with the default high definition audio device drivers for windows and this should get you the enhancements tab back! Enjoy!

fix is don't use the realtek drivers.

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020

foxhound525

Commendable
Mar 14, 2020
try this

fix is don't use the realtek drivers.
I've now tried this but unfortunately it didn't work. I did some reading and apparently room correction was part of windows, but was gutted at some point in windows 10's life cycle. Apparently much of the code was still there at one point, but any UI functionality was removed. Typical of Microsoft to remove useful things and not replace it with anything better. Not sure why I can access this on my old motherboard but it vanishes when I change over, even if I use older drivers...