[SOLVED] Upgraded my old PC, Windows 10 won't install on old drive

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
EDIT: SOLVED AFTER TWAEKING TWEAKING BIOS.!

Greetings,

I upgraded my PC with Gigabyte B450 Elite and Ryzen 5 3600, and few other parts. Kept only the old hard drive, WD Purple 1 TB.

The hard drive has 4 partitions, I had taken a backup of C drive as I knew Windows will be installed there but did not take backup of other drives. While installation I got the error "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI system, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks". I thought (my mistake here) this would be solved by formatting that partition. This did not solve anything and the OS got wiped from the internal drive.

So what can I do right now so as to install Windows 10 without loosing all the data of other drives.

If formatting the whole drive is the only option, how can i take the backup from the drive without it having an OS installed?

I have,

• A laptop that has windows installed, that i can use for files transfer.
  • 2 external hard disks 2TB and 500 GB
  • 2 USB Flash Drives, one with windows setup, another one of 16 GB free for use.
Can I use above things to take a backup of my internal drive?

Last edited:
Solution
Boot order was
  1. UEFI Sandisk Cruze Flash Drive
  2. Hard Disk
  3. Sandisk Cruze Flash Drive
I disabled "UEFI Flash Drive" and gave priority to flash drive. After that it allowed me to install windows on partition.

adison024

Distinguished
May 18, 2013
Boot order was
  1. UEFI Sandisk Cruze Flash Drive
  2. Hard Disk
  3. Sandisk Cruze Flash Drive
I disabled "UEFI Flash Drive" and gave priority to flash drive. After that it allowed me to install windows on partition.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS