[SOLVED] upgraded my pc and it wont turn on ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybopepe

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
I recently upgraded my motherboard and cpu and now nothing will turn on?
Tomahawk B450 Max II
Ryzen 5 5600x

I have 24 gb of ram and the PSU (corsair cx650 m) is definitely working as it's powering my gpu (Nvidia 1050Ti)

storm-chaser

Reputable
Nov 17, 2018
If you mean the cpu power, then yeah, I used 4+4 connector,

also I tried the ram in dimm_a2 - it still didn't work
Does this motherboard have an on/off switch directly mounted to the motherboard?

Unplug your PSU from the wall. Wait 20 seconds. Now depress the power button on your case and hold it down. While you are holding it down plug the PSU back in and see if that does anything.

Im assuming you already pulled the CMOS battery as a troubleshooting method?

billybopepe

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Does this motherboard have an on/off switch directly mounted to the motherboard?

Unplug your PSU from the wall. Wait 20 seconds. Now depress the power button on your case and hold it down. While you are holding it down plug the PSU back in and see if that does anything.

Im assuming you already pulled the CMOS battery as a troubleshooting method?

I haven't touched the CMOS battery, do I just take it out then put it back in ?

beauknowsdiddly

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
I mean, I just got it out of the box ? is that possible ? and It wouldn't fit if it was the wrong way round, right ? so I think I can rule that out
Ya never know. I've had the same issue and couldn't figure it out. After days of trouble shooting I pulled the cpu and sure enough there were a couple bent prongs. I don't know if I did it installing it or it came like that. Probably the former since I've been known to be a bull in a china closet snappin' stuff together. lol

billybopepe

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Take it out, press the power button down for 10-20 seconds then put it back in and try to boot.

Just to clarify, I don't have an on/off button for my motherboard
for the CMOS battery, I took it out, press and held my pc case on/off button for 20s, put the CMOS battery back into the motherboard, plugged the psu into the mains then tried turning on the pc and still didn't work (i still only have 1 ram stick in still)

billybopepe

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
Ya never know. I've had the same issue and couldn't figure it out. After days of trouble shooting I pulled the cpu and sure enough there were a couple bent prongs. I don't know if I did it installing it or it came like that. Probably the former since I've been known to be a bull in a china closet snappin' stuff together. lol

I'll check this out, it's honestly something i hope isn't the case :')

billybopepe

Reputable
Feb 27, 2018
for anyone else who had this issue I found the solution, I updated the bios from the msi website (from the bios tab not the compatibility tab, to which was my first mistake) - then I had mad an incorrect fan connection so the motherboard would allow my pc to boot.

Thanks for everyones help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.