[SOLVED] Upgraded my pc and now ethernet cable won't work on my pc only

Jul 19, 2021
Hello, so i upgraded my pc yesterday and when i connect the ethernet cable the orange led blinks every couple of seconds from the back and desktop isn't detecting it, i changed the cable and it still isn't detecting it. so i used the ethernet cable on my laptop and it worked. after that i took my desktop to a service and when they connected their ethernet cable it worked normally and i can't for the life of me figure out why the cable won't connect in my house and on my desktop specifically.

Ive already tried redownloading the drivers and still it won't work

motherboard: ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, so i upgraded my pc yesterday and when i connect the ethernet cable the orange led blinks every couple of seconds from the back and desktop isn't detecting it, i changed the cable and it still isn't detecting it. so i used the ethernet cable on my laptop and it worked. after that i took my desktop to a service and when they connected their ethernet cable it worked normally and i can't for the life of me figure out why the cable won't connect in my house and on my desktop specifically.

Ive already tried redownloading the drivers and still it won't work

motherboard: ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING
Did this "upgrade" include a clean OS install? If not your OS is confused by the new hardware and the old hardware in the Windows registry. A new motherboard should always be accompanied by a clean OS install.
Here is the sticky on how-to https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-do-clean-installation-windows-10,36160.html

Reactions: Yazitsme
Jul 19, 2021
Here is a how-to on checking the speed and duplex -- https://www.home-network-help.com/speed-and-duplex.html
Also, open a cmd.exe window and run ipconfig.exe /all -- post the output of that.
C:\Users\PC>ipconfig.exe

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 1:

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 10:

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi:

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::84df:26a7:f337:719a%18
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.136
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.100.1

C:\Users\PC>

Jul 19, 2021
That is most commonly a cable problem. Is your connection directly to the router or is is through in-wall cabling ?
in-wall cabling, i set it to full 100mbps and its just like before so solved thank you!. but i have 200mbps internet speed, is the problem with the in wall cabling then?

kanewolf

Titan
in-wall cabling, i set it to full 100mbps and its just like before so solved thank you!. but i have 200mbps internet speed, is the problem with the in wall cabling then?
Quite possibly. Test this by moving your PC near the router and directly connecting. If you get full speed then you either have an in-wall or a patch cable problem. It only takes 1 of the 8 wires in an ethernet cable not making GOOD connection for gigabit to not work.
If you have in-wall cabling, in addition to the new patch cables, I recommend you get a basic ethernet cable tester like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM

Reactions: Yazitsme
Jul 19, 2021
Quite possibly. Test this by moving your PC near the router and directly connecting. If you get full speed then you either have an in-wall or a patch cable problem. It only takes 1 of the 8 wires in an ethernet cable not making GOOD connection for gigabit to not work.
If you have in-wall cabling, in addition to the new patch cables, I recommend you get a basic ethernet cable tester like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Klein-VDV526-052-Scout-Junior-Tester/dp/B004CI9NRM
ok will do that to check it out later, as for now im happy its just working normally like before. thank you kanewolf! really appreciate your help