[SOLVED] upgraded my system for the first time

pandasmash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
so after my last few posts i took your very helpful advice and bought some new parts.
i have now replaced the parts and when i turn the pc on my keyboard and mouse doesnt seen to have power (no lights on) and nothign comes up on the screen. i also cant turn the pc off by holding down the power button.

Old PC:-
NZXT Switch 810
windows 7 pro 64-bit
i5-3570K
Asus P8Z77-V LX
Corsair 8GB 1600MHz CL9 DDR3 Vengeance Memory Two Module Kit
Corsair TX750 V2 750w psu
GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce OC 6gb
Corsair H100
Agility 3 120GB SSD and some big storage hdd's

Swapped out for :-
b450 tomahawk max
ryzen 5 3600 (with stock cooler)
patriot viper steel 2 x 8gb
corsair rm750

im guessing its somethign to do with windows 7 or my cabling is wrong. doubled checked cables and at first seem ok.
as the screen wont turn on (has power but acts like nothing is conencted) im not sure how to preceed.
tried it with on board graphics card and its the same. tried a second monitor an no change.

any suggestions?
im no genius so please be nice.
and if i have missed some info just ask.
thansk in advance.

Solution
it goes as far as the windows login screen. then my usb mouse and keyboard are unresponsive.

i have read there are workarounds for windows 7 and ryzen 5.
and yes i am aware that a new mobo/cpu means something but this is my first time upgrading and i guess im hoping that once i login all will be normal!
i have bought a ps/2 adapter as i heard that will work with peripherals, just waiting on it arriving from amazon.
best best to a new ssd and windows 10 pro? (my ssd is 120gb, too small!)
there are cheap key only for windows 10 (£12 on amazon). So if I buy a ssd I can link to my office pc, download windows and install the software then remove and plug into my gaming rig? Or do I have this sequence all wrong. Been so long since I...

pandasmash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
ok so i had some of the pins (+/-) the wrong way around for hhd led, power switch, etc on jfp1. finally found the little triangles that mean its positive.
new problem....
mouse and keyboard unresposive once im past the bios.
reading its a common problem with windows 7 and ryzen 5.
you guys know of a workaround?
i dont have any of my windows 7 install stuff anymore.
hoping i dont have to fork out for windows 10 and a new ssd.

Once you get past the BIOS, the PC will try and boot into an OS.

You changed your motherboard (Intel z77 chipset to AMD B450 chipset) and your CPU (Intel i5-3570k to Ryzen 5 3600). You know you need to do a fresh install of Windows, right? Your old OS SSD (I'm assuming your copy of Windows 7 is on the SSD) will not boot with your new motherboard (different chipset).

A fresh OS install is absolutely necessary. You can overwrite and use the SSD, but you'll need either a CD or USB stick with a copy of Windows 7 or 10.

Create installation media for Windows

Last edited:

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019
Once you get past the BIOS, the PC will try and boot into an OS.

You changed your motherboard (Intel z77 chipset to AMD B450 chipset) and your CPU (Intel i5-3570k to Ryzen 5 3600). You know you need to do a fresh install of Windows, right? Your old OS SSD (I'm assuming your copy of Windows 7 is on the SSD) will not boot with your new motherboard (different chipset).

A fresh OS install is absolutely necessary. You can overwrite and use the SSD, but you'll need either a CD or USB stick with a copy of Windows 7 or 10.

Isn't ryzen 3rd gen windows 10 only?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX/Specification
On operating system there is a footnote for W7

*Edit: 1st and 2nd gen can run W7
*Pinnacle Ridge and Summit Ridge are 1st and 2nd gen respectively.

I always keep a bootable Ubuntu USB handy when I do a fresh build, just to see if the base build (cpu / mobo / memory / power and maybe GPU if no IGP available) can boot up without any problems. Makes troubleshooting very painless at this point!

Edit - ok after re-reading, you are not getting any video at all with your GPU, so yes will be best to re-check your base component connections - most common, forgetting to plug in the CPU +12v 4/8 pin connector(s), or the GPU power connectors. Also check your front panel and make sure the power leads are connected proper.

Also good to check the ATX power button itself and the reset switch, if the power button is not working and you have a reset button, you can swap the connectors on the motherboard and see if the reset will power it up (handy when your power button breaks and you want to power on/off).

you can also test your PSU with a paperclip:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBfS2iUTp5w

Last edited:

pandasmash

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2012
it goes as far as the windows login screen. then my usb mouse and keyboard are unresponsive.

and yes i am aware that a new mobo/cpu means something but this is my first time upgrading and i guess im hoping that once i login all will be normal!
i have bought a ps/2 adapter as i heard that will work with peripherals, just waiting on it arriving from amazon.
there are cheap key only for windows 10 (£12 on amazon). So if I buy a ssd I can link to my office pc, download windows and install the software then remove and plug into my gaming rig? Or do I have this sequence all wrong. Been so long since I built my first pc.

if so i was thinking ..
WD SN750 500GB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, Black
or
Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD

Not sure if worth using the nvme slot for the operating system? As I keep it clean for just that and game on other hard drives.

Nvme are new to me. So if im right in getting one is it best to keep the slot for gaming? And a 2.5 sata for the operating system and graphics card?

Sorry for all the noob questions.
you guys deserve a medal for dealing with people like me!

MSYF27

Prominent
Apr 2, 2019

there are cheap key only for windows 10 (£12 on amazon). So if I buy a ssd I can link to my office pc, download windows and install the software then remove and plug into my gaming rig? Or do I have this sequence all wrong. Been so long since I built my first pc.

if so i was thinking ..
WD SN750 500GB High-Performance NVMe Internal Gaming SSD, Black
or
Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB SATA 2.5" Internal SSD

Not sure if worth using the nvme slot for the operating system? As I keep it clean for just that and game on other hard drives.

Nvme are new to me. So if im right in getting one is it best to keep the slot for gaming? And a 2.5 sata for the operating system and graphics card?

Sorry for all the noob questions.
you guys deserve a medal for dealing with people like me!

Here is a thread if you do really want to stay with W7
https://community.amd.com/thread/240176
TLDR; Its up to the motherboard manufacturer if they do want to keep running W7 drivers for the board (seeing as support for W7 is nearing its end), but looking up the spec sheet of the tomahawk max it specifies that it would only run on 1st and 2nd gen Ryzen
(This was also a let down for me as W7 was a smoother experience and not as hungry as W10 on ram and system drive utilization)

Your SSD will be fine with just W10 on it. For context I've only used up 110gb on my system drive, on it are : W10, Adobe(AI,PS,AE,Premiere), Esports title (CSGO, DOTA2) as well as other minor softwares. I'm sure you can get away with the 120gb SSD just for OS and NVidia/AMD drivers.

If you do opt for an nvme it is highly recommended to use that for your OS, it will give you a night and day difference in boot up times and overall responsiveness of the OS compared to a SataSSD/HDD, and you may squeeze in just some minor softwares. Nothing wrong with putting a game library even on just an HDD, although there are times it may help in load times if they are on an SSD but if you are short on budget, high capacity SSDs are somewhat expensive (may depend on your price range) as "AAA" games take up 100gb+ of storage. So if you do opt for a low budget SSD maybe 240gb it may just be enough for 2 games.

Regarding your OS here is what to do and below is a step by step guide
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKbR6XT7fcA

Solution