Jonjonth

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013
Hi there - longtime lurker infrequent poster!

I have recently managed to get my hands on a few new parts to upgrade my build, I have put these into my machine but now I'm running into quite an odd error. When the GPU is plugged in with PCI-E chords the PC does not turn on at all, when I take these wires out the PC turns on and a light even comes on the GPU (the Zotac logo). It is worth mentioning that this GPU requires 2 8-pin cords and I am using one 6+2 and a 4+4 (with a splitter).

Could of other quirks that might help:
  • Sometimes when switching on the power at the back of the case there is a small spark at the top of the motherboard (probably not a good thing...)
  • There is a red cpu light on my mobo suggesting there is a problem with this.
  • My PSU is kind of old, bronze rated and 520w (below Nvidia's recommendation) - I am 80% sure this is probably the issue but wanted to check before shelling out for a new one.
  • I've removed the CMOS battery and replaced it
  • I also put the old GPU back in and it booted - however, the screen didn't turn on...

new Parts in question:
  • Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge
  • AMD Radeon 5600x
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro
  • G.Skill Ripjaw 16GB DDR4 Ram Kit

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Let me know any additional troubleshooting steps

I also have a local PC repair shop that I'm considering taking it along to, however, ft its most likely the PSU or something I haven't thought of I'll have a go at replacing this first.

Solution
First at all upgrade your PSU immediately to at least 650W, get one from a reliable brand and don't spend little on it as you are running high end parts.

The issue that you are having is caused by 3 reasons:
  • Your PSU is very weak for a 3070 and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the right cables for the GPU.
  • The 4+4 cable is for the CPU.
  • You will need to update the BIOS to run that 5600x.

tecmo34

Administrator
It is worth mentioning that this GPU requires 2 8-pin cords and I am using one 6+2 and a 4+4 (with a splitter).
This is your issue!!! There is no 4+4 plug for a GPU, that is for the motherboard. You need to use only a 6+2 cables so you will probably need to upgrade your PSU, ASAP and hope that using that cord didn't impact the GPU when running it.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
First at all upgrade your PSU immediately to at least 650W, get one from a reliable brand and don't spend little on it as you are running high end parts.

• Your PSU is very weak for a 3070 and I'm pretty sure that it doesn't have the right cables for the GPU.

Reactions: Jonjonth
Solution

Jonjonth

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2013

Thank you, I replaced the PSU with a Corsair RM750x and Q-flashed the mobo and we're up and running!

The system is very loud under stress, so will start troubleshooting if there is any way to fix.