[SOLVED] Upgraded PC and the GPU fans won't shut off

kingeryck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
MSI MPG X570 motherboard

ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Super

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X

I already had GPU Tweak II installed for the 1070 I had. Installed all the new hardware and the GPU fans won't shut off, even when it's idle at like 28 C. I tried creating a custom fan curve in GPU Tweak to keep them off until 60 C and applied it, restarted, and the fans are still going all the time. Updated the mobo software. Reinstalled GPU Tweak. Geforce Experience didn't say I needed new drivers. Installed the ASUS drivers.

kingeryck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
Some of the ASUS RoG Strix RTX cards have a dual BIOS. A performance one, where the fans always spin, and a "Quiet BIOS" with idle fan stop.

The cards are set to performance BIOS as default. Have you checked to see if your card has such a switch?

It does have that, it was set to P, changed it to Q but it didn't change anything.

kingeryck

Honorable
Mar 28, 2014
Use DDU to remove and reinstall drivers. It does sound that it's driver related.
How To - How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers. | Tom's Hardware Forum

Well that just made it worse. Removed the old drivers and now the new ones say they can't install because I need GeForce Experience but GeForce Experience wont install cuz I need DCH drivers and the DCH drivers aren't an option under the link it tells me to go to. Tried installing it from Windows Store like it also suggested and that fails too.
Use DDU to remove and reinstall drivers. It does sound that it's driver related.
How To - How to perform a CLEAN install of your video card drivers. | Tom's Hardware Forum

Removed, reinstalled.

Fixed!