Upgraded PC - black screen / no signal

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017
Hello guys.

I've just finish up building back my upgraded build. I bought an i7 7700k ( I had a i3 before ), the cooler master evo 212 and one more stick of ram. ( I had one 8gb before)

However now, when I start the computer nothing boot, the keyboard doesnt light up. The fans does turn including the fan of the GPU turn for a while then stop but get no signal on the screen

My build is ;

ASUS prime b250m-k
i7 7700k
Cooler master 212 evo.
Corsair DDR4 2133 8GB
GTX 1050
POWER SUPPLY : CORSAIR CX550M

So again, nothing boot, get a no signal on the screen, the keyboard doesnt light up.
What is worth mentionning is that amazon packed the cpu the worst way possible. In an amazon book cardboard and the cpu itself wrapped in plastic. I am really scared that the cpu is dead.

I tried all that : http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I also tried removing the 2nd stick of ram too

Please help.

Thanks a lot

Solution

use a screwdriver to short 2 pines look in your usermanual page 1-3

keatingscool

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Because if the old CPU works and the new one doesn't... then yeah your new CPU is just a bad one, ask for a refund and get another one. MAKE SURE you are putting in the CPU the correct way.

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017
well I've put back the i3, mounted againg the evo 212 and actually I get the same issue. no signal... to mount the evo 212 was quite tricky tbh so hopefully I havent break anything.

The x thingy that come in between the cooler and the process was super hard to screw on the standoff as each time I screwed in one side the opposite side would lift up super high which required lots of strength to screw it back down.

any other idea I can try?

I just tried to put back the old stock cooler and take off the evo 212, same no signal. I think I broke someting but can't figure out what...

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017
PS : I tried both to boot it by plugging the screen cable on the mother board with the gpu in, and on the gpu while plugged in a second attempt.

Also, it's possible that I messed up with the thermal paste as I have some on my fingers, however I can't 'see any trace on the motherboard.

That thermal paste stuff got to my brain so I decided to clean both cpu and fans, apply new thermal paste and try again.
Still no signal

Spenc_PC

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017

Hello Antony,
Did you do anything with your drivers? Like, reset back to factory settings? I am actually having the same problem. But all I did was reset my PC and now I get nothing, all the lights and fans in my case go on, but the monitor or keyboard and mouse doesn't light up. I will post my thread down below if you would like to check it out to see what I did.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3615695/turns-display-shown-factory-reset-overclocked.html

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017
SpencePC

No I didnt do anything at all. I got my new component today. Turned off the computer, removed the i3 to replace it by i7. Added the evo cooler master on top. built back the computer, tried to boot and got no signal...

But now, even when I put back the i3 and the stock cooler and I get a no signal, I must have break something

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Hello Thank you for replying.

I did take off the CMOS battery for 10 sec and put it back in (there is nothing more to do right?)
Howerver, how do I update bios firmware?

dvd03cr

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

No, do it with the jumper.
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1000851/

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017

I dont have the jumper cap ::(

Spenc_PC

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017

To do this how long do you remove the battery for? I've heard 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 5 mins? And also with the jumper do I just touch it with a screwdriver for like a few seconds?

Spenc_PC

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017

You dont need the jumper cap, use a screwdriver and connect both sides with that.

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Okay I think I just did that. I found the CLRTC pins on my motherboard and touched them with a screwdriver for like 10 sec.

Worth mentioning that on my mobo the CLRTC is only 2 pins instead of 3, like on the one from the asus support site. Doest that matter?

Spenc_PC

Reputable
Mar 17, 2017

I'm not too familiar with that but on most motherboards it only two pins.

dvd03cr

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

use a screwdriver to short 2 pines look in your usermanual page 1-3

Solution

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017

Yes I did that, still no signal.... sadly.

But thanks for trying !

My bad, it booted. see post below, this is the solution

Antony_5

Prominent
May 12, 2017
OMG it booted !!

Thank you so much one of the 4 pins from the PSU where not right at the bottom, I had plugged them in and out so often than I missed it.

it even booted on the i7 which is great ! However I left the stock cooler. The evo is super though to mount. How bad is it to let the i3 stock cooler for the i7 ?

Thanks !