[SOLVED] Upgraded PC - Boot issues with probable issue with the RAM

alpis

Reputable
Jan 26, 2018
Hello!
I've very recently bought upgrade parts to my computer!
I bought a new motherboard, AMD CPU, 2 sticks of DDR5 ram and a noctua cooler.

Used to have an old INTEL system with:
CPU - i7-4790
MB - MSI H97M
RAM - 4 sticks with 4gb
PSU - Cooler Master B500 500W
___
NEW AMD SYSTEM:
Motherboard - ASUS PRIME B650-A WIFI
CPU - AMD 7600X
RAM - G.SKILL Trident Z5 neo DDR5 CL30 6000mhz
CPU cooler - Noctua NH-U12S
___
Rest of the system remains the same PSU ETC.

Been trying with my limited knowledge to get this to work but I've ran into a problem.
I can't get the system to boot when I have both RAM sticks inserted.
It only managed to boot when I have 1 of the sticks and only that one inserted in the DIMM_B2 slot
What I've noticed is that when It's been booted and I've messed around in BIOS trying to solve it then trying to insert another RAM stick next time it wont boot at all even with the same settings and position of ram that would work, usually after removing the CMOS battery and trying again can I get it to work.

Stuff I've tried:
Reseated RAM sticks in all manners of positions.
Updated BIOS to latest update.
Removing CMOS battery
Increased voltage in BIOS
Enabled EXPO
Updated all manners of drivers.

This is what I can remember I've tried on hand

I know DDR5 is still new and there's some issues but I would appreciate any kind of help as my knowledge only goes that far.

Last edited:
Solution
Pull the CPU and make sure you didn't bend any pins on the motherboard. Also, since you had a micro ATX motherboard before and an ATX motherboard now, make sure that you removed any motherboard standoffs that did not specifically line up with the standoff mounting holes in the ATX board since they are not the same. ATX and mATX have different locations and you might have a standoff touching something on the bottom of the board and shorting it out since it may be where it doesn't belong.

There's also a really good chance your PSU could be to blame. How old is that CM B500?
Pull the CPU and make sure you didn't bend any pins on the motherboard. Also, since you had a micro ATX motherboard before and an ATX motherboard now, make sure that you removed any motherboard standoffs that did not specifically line up with the standoff mounting holes in the ATX board since they are not the same. ATX and mATX have different locations and you might have a standoff touching something on the bottom of the board and shorting it out since it may be where it doesn't belong.

There's also a really good chance your PSU could be to blame. How old is that CM B500?

Solution

alpis

Reputable
Jan 26, 2018

QUOTE #1
All right thats something I have not tried checking the CPU, It always seems to be a bit far fetched.
I think I was pretty thorough with the standoffs but I will open and take a look again although I'm doubting it.

QUOTE #2
Yeah I've had that in mind as well, It is pretty old, on off hand I believe I got it around 2015/2016 but it boots completely fine and all voltage seems normal and sufficient

I have not tried checking the CPU, It always seems to be a bit far fetched.
Far fetched? LOL. No, it's not far fetched.

As far as the PSU goes, the Cooler Master B series, all models of it, was pretty terrible. Are you running a graphics card in this system too or both system were integrated graphics only?

Considering it was a pretty poor quality model even when new, and now it's like 7 years old (Which would be considered PAST time for replacement even for a very high quality model from back then), I'd HIGHLY recommend you look at getting a replacement. Even if it's not the specific cause of your problem, before it becomes the specific cause of OTHER problems. But I still think it might be relevant even if voltage "seems" ok. It's not only a good way to protect the investment you just made, it might also circumvent having to go through a long, drawn out process, just to find it was simply a PSU problem in the first place and to be honest this is something we see ALL THE TIME when people upgrade to new hardware while retaining an older PSU.

It would also be a very good idea to make sure you are on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard as there have already been several updates related to system and memory compatibility and stability.

alpis

Reputable
Jan 26, 2018
Far fetched? LOL. No, it's not far fetched.

As far as the PSU goes, the Cooler Master B series, all models of it, was pretty terrible. Are you running a graphics card in this system too or both system were integrated graphics only?

Considering it was a pretty poor quality model even when new, and now it's like 7 years old (Which would be considered PAST time for replacement even for a very high quality model from back then), I'd HIGHLY recommend you look at getting a replacement. Even if it's not the specific cause of your problem, before it becomes the specific cause of OTHER problems. But I still think it might be relevant even if voltage "seems" ok. It's not only a good way to protect the investment you just made, it might also circumvent having to go through a long, drawn out process, just to find it was simply a PSU problem in the first place and to be honest this is something we see ALL THE TIME when people upgrade to new hardware while retaining an older PSU.

It would also be a very good idea to make sure you are on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard as there have already been several updates related to system and memory compatibility and stability.

I have checked the CPU pins now and everything seems to be in perfect order.
Yeah I know the PSU is pretty crappy and was thinking of replacing it and most definitely will just could not get it to fit into this months budget hehe. Will look to getting one next month if I cant solve it earlier thanks!

ATM in the morning I will head to a store location that the shop I use has and they said on phone they might be able to quickly check if the sticks work.
But I'm thinking it might be a compatability issue still after searching around for more info.
Im gonna check to get these sticks replaced to another set that is on the QVL list even if its a downgrade.
If that wont solve it I will look into replacing the motherboard, third option either now or next month replace the PSU.
I will get back here and update if tomorrows venture solves it!

alpis

Reputable
Jan 26, 2018
Hello again! Went to the store and decided to check with the motherboard, I got lucky that they did not have any parts to test the system so they just ordered a replacement for me.
Went back today, got it and went home. Put everything together and everything works without a hitch! I believe I've been one of the unlucky ones to get a bad mobo from the store or something lol
Managed to boost ram to 6000mhz and cpu runs amazing!

Thanks everyone for the tips!

Emoji_Thumbs_up_001.png