Upgraded PC having POST issues with new memory/motherboard

derek9fan

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
I have just finished upgrading my computer, more specifically the motherboard, CPU, RAM and a liquid cooler. The parts I installed are as follows:

MSI Z370 Gaming Plus ATX Motherboard
Intel i5-8600K CPU
2x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RBG LED Ram DDR4-3000.
NZXT Kraken x52 AIO liquid cooler.

The parts that did NOT change during this build are:

MSI Geforce 1060 Gaming Edition 6gb GPU
Rosewill 850W 80+ Gold PSU
250 GB Samsung SSD
And various other items (DVD drive and wifi card)

I was switching from an older AMD motherboard and processor. The build went fine, this is my third time building (or upgrading) my computer. I made sure to be careful about not having any static potential as to short any of the pieces etc.

Another thing that is probably important to state is that I did this hardware change without planning on doing a clean install, as I have done this in the past with no problems. In preparation for this I uninstalled the old motherboards drivers before I shutdown and made the hardware change.

After getting everything in and double checking all my connections and cables, on my initial boot the PC did not POST. I did some quick researching to determine steps that I should take to figure out what the issue might be, and I ended up taking out one stick of RAM and rebooting. The computer booted up immediately, straight through the bios to my windows login.

Once I figured out it was something to do with the RAM or the DIMM slots on the MOBO I started testing the sticks in different slots. It turns out the computer will only boot with that specific stick of RAM, but only in the specific slot that it was in (DIMM channel 2A or the 2nd one from the left). The computer will NOT boot at all if there are 2 sticks of RAM in the motherboard. Upon trying the other stick in that same slot that boots, I got a BSOD. This made me think it was the stick that was bad, but I can't get the computer to boot with the "good" stick unless it is in that one DIMM slot.

I have tried checking for any shorts on the MOBO, I have tried loosening the screws holding the MOBO in place to see if they affected the seating of the memory, I have checked all connections and power cables, etc.

I can't help but think something is wrong with the RAM, but I am also starting to fear that the motherboard itself is bad, and I would like to exhaust all other possibilities before accepting that fate. I appreciate all help in advance, feel free to ask questions if I did not include a bit of information that might be helpful.

Thank you, D