Question Upgraded PC is infinitely power cycling ?

Feb 26, 2023
Z690-P WIFI
I5-13400
ASUS TUF 3080
CX 750M (from old build - working fine)

The pc turns on runs for 24 approx seconds and powers off, and instantly powers back on, and does this over and over again.

I am aware the mother has 3 power connections, 24 pin, 4x4, and a 4 pin (atx_12) I haven’t seen on many mobos before. From what I’ve read, it says this extra 4 pin is only used for overclocking so ignore it.

the pc acts like this even with ram, gpu and hdd disconnected.

Please can someone give me some ideas? Is it the missing 4 pin causing this, or maybe the mobo is DOA? Help!

Ralston18

Titan
Feb 26, 2023
This motherboard?

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/PRIME_Z690-P_WIFI/E19402_PRIME_Z690-P_WIFI_V2_UM_PRINT.pdf?model=PRIME Z690-P WIFI

Do verify that I found the applicable User Manual.

Referencing the User Manual, double check all connections and cables.

Pay close attention to fine print, notes, warnings, etc..

Exactly what has been connected to each motherboard power connector/port?

= = = =

Did you use power cables from any other PSUs?
Yes that’s the right manual, and literally all that is connected is the fans, aio pump, 24, 4x4, usb headers, hd audio.

no cables from other psus

Feb 26, 2023
Double check per Pages 1-8 and 1-9.

What, if anything, is in place to control fan speeds?

Do the fans move at all?

If so, which fans? Any pattern?

+
Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have double checked the pages already and the 24 pin and 8 pin are connected, just not the 4 pin.
All of the fans are connected to the case fan control, and the fan control does work.

The fans all come on, so does the aio pump, and everything runs seemlingly normally, the only issue is it keeps cycling.

Why would the PC cycle even with everything disconnected? Literally only mobo, CPU, front panel, and fans connected.

Ralston18

Titan
"The pc turns on runs for 24 approx seconds and powers off "......

How is that being noted: PSU fan spins up and off, all of the other fans on and off together, motherboard LEDs on and off, or something else?

Are you able to unplug each fan but only one fan at a time to determine if the cycling stops or changes?

Also take another look at the front/system panel I/O connections using both the motherboard's manual ( Page -1-19, Section 17 and also Page 2-13, Section 2.1.8) and the case manual.

Wondering about the power switch and the reset switch....

Feb 26, 2023
The motherboard manuals says that during a post you should hear bios beeps, but I haven’t heard any. A bit disappointing if there is no onboard speaker? But maybe that’s normal, I’ve ordered one to try and help anyway.

Please see a video of the issue, and see if you can spot anything! Really appreciate the help so far.

https://we.tl/t-4hO0yKWigk

Feb 26, 2023
Thank you both for your advice, can you recommend a PSU, I must admit I’ve been out of the PC game for a few years now, and my pal was on such s tight budget, and well here we are!

My one question though, the system is doing this without the GPU connected? Could a power spike have damaged it?

Feb 26, 2023
UPDATE: New Corsair 1000e PSU, and the PC still won’t post, I’ve tried 1 re seating the CPU, using 1 RAM stick and then the other, other RAM stick on its own.

I then tried flashing the BIOS but that doesn’t work either, I’m really running out of options here, I think the mobo is DOA.