[SOLVED] Upgraded pc (mobo/cpu), unable to install Win 10?

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019
Good morning guys,

Need some guidance regarding installing a fresh copy of Win 10 on my upgraded desktop.

Went from a Z270/7700k board with a Samsung 960 Pro nvme to a Z490/10700k with the same nvme. Using a Sandisk 32gb usb drive with a Win 10 64bit ISO on it (tried four different Win 10 ISO's). In the UEFI on the MSI MAG Tomahawk, I do have the USB as the first boot device, it does load the windows 10 installer but I get this warning:

Something like "cannot find partition with drivers. Please select USB, hard drive", etc.

Then another window after that is "No device drivers were found. Make sure that the installation media contains the correct drivers, and then click OK"

In the BIOS under boot priority I was not able to find the 960 Pro. When I went to secure erase the drive was showing along with the other two drives (970 Pro and a PNY SSD). I did format the 970 and it is now showing under the boot priority but I keep getting the warning when trying to install windows.

Three years ago I re-installed win 10 in my Z270 setup via a USB but I don't have that ISO anymore. I think it might be a bad ISO(s) or I have to go into the terminal to format the nvme. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
D
You need to use the windows media creation tool to create a USB or a DVD. You can’t just slap an iso on the device

Use that tool to create a USB with the latest copy of windows on it and that will work guaranteed

During the windows install you can delete all the partitions on the SSD and install it clean
D

Deleted member 14196

You need to use the windows media creation tool to create a USB or a DVD. You can’t just slap an iso on the device

Use that tool to create a USB with the latest copy of windows on it and that will work guaranteed

During the windows install you can delete all the partitions on the SSD and install it clean

Reactions: Solidjake
Solution

Solidjake

Notable
Sep 6, 2019

Thank you. My previous build does not work so I was never able to setup the USB that way. I did use Balena Etcher on my macbook to create the bootable USB.

I will try to see if anyone near me has a DVD so I can try the install that way.