Question Upgraded PC not working and I have no idea why

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
So prior to the upgrade I had a windows 10 pc with a ryzen 7 1700, aorous b450 mobo, rtx 2070, 16 gb of Corsair rgb 3200 ram, an evega bronze 500 watt psu, and a 500 gb ssd and a 1 tb hdd. Yesterday, I decided to upgrade my mobo and cpu to a ryzen 5600x and a ROG b550 - f. I plugged everything in properly but when I turn on the pc the ram will not turn on and the other pc produces no display or usb output. I tried swapping around the ram locations and even swapped in a different kit (HyperX 8gb 2666) with still no luck. The ssd and hard drive are transferred over from the original system. Any ideas of what could be the problem? Thanks

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
plugged everything in properly but when I turn on the pc the ram will not turn on and the other pc produces no display or usb output

Can you clarify the meaning here? I am sure you realize that both of the CPU you are working with don't produce video output and need a GPU...

IE the new build wouldn't power up and you swapped back in the old components and they won't either?

In a very general direction, are you certain the B550 mobo has an appropriate BIOS revision for the 5xxx? the 5xx chipset was released with 3xxx CPU and may need updating. I am not certain you can use the 1xxx to do so. Perhaps the new mobo has "q-flash" or other similar updating utility?

edit- of note, your GPU alone suggests the use of 650W minimum PSU. Can you confirm the PSU is working? Paperclip test?

So...new motherboard and CPU...

Do you get any indications at all? any fans or lights spinning? look especially for trouble-shooting LEDs (Q-LED Asus calls them) that are lit: check the manual, it will tell which means what.

Are you sure the motherboard is Ryzen 5000 ready? It should be by now but it's possible you got some old stock that never got a Ryzen 5000 BIOS. I'm pretty sure the Strix B550 - F has BIOS flashback to update to the latest BIOS. Once again, check your manual to see how it's done.

Are you connecting your monitor to the discrete GPU output? not the ones on the motherboard.

If you're getting nothing...no fans or lights of any sort...then either something's not connected right or the PSU is toast.

Follow and double check everything as shown in this guide:

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
Can you clarify the meaning here? I am sure you realize that both of the CPU you are working with don't produce video output and need a GPU...

IE the new build wouldn't power up and you swapped back in the old components and they won't either?

In a very general direction, are you certain the B550 mobo has an appropriate BIOS revision for the 5xxx? the 5xx chipset was released with 3xxx CPU and may need updating. I am not certain you can use the 1xxx to do so. Perhaps the new mobo has "q-flash" or other similar updating utility?

edit- of note, your GPU alone suggests the use of 650W minimum PSU. Can you confirm the PSU is working? Paperclip test?
PSU did work in the old build with the gpu, all fan lights are on, and there are no error leds on the mobo lighting up. The monitor is connected to the 2070. The box says that the motherboard is ryzen 5000 series ready. The entire build seems to be powering up except for the ram lighting and there is no output coming from the USB ports or the hdmi port. Thank you so much

PSU did work in the old build with the gpu, all fan lights are on, and there are no error leds on the mobo lighting up. The monitor is connected to the 2070. The box says that the motherboard is ryzen 5000 series ready. The entire build seems to be powering up except for the ram lighting and there is no output coming from the USB ports or the hdmi port. Thank you so much
When you turn it on watch the Q-LED's....do they each turn on briefly then turn off one after the other? If so and it ends up with fans working and no error Q-LEDS lit at all then it's posting and even finding a boot partition to boot up into windows. That means RAM is working even if it's RGB isn't lighting up.

If it didn't have a Ryzen 5000 BIOS it would stop with RAM or, most likely, CPU Q-LED lit.

Double triple check connections with monitor to gpu and even swap out the cable with another one...maybe another port on the GPU if you can.

One last thing: check your 20+4 pin connector that it's fully seated. It's a hard one to get on and often causes strange problems like this.

Last edited:

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
When you turn it on watch the Q-LED's....do they each turn on briefly then turn off one after the other? If so and it ends up with fans working and no error Q-LEDS lit at all then it's posting and even finding a boot partition to boot up into windows. That means RAM is working even if it's RGB isn't lighting up.

If it didn't have a Ryzen 5000 BIOS it would stop with RAM or, most likely, CPU Q-LED lit.

Double triple check connections with monitor to gpu and even swap out the cable with another one...maybe another port on the GPU if you can.
The Qleds are not lighting at all. Also none of the USB ports are working on the mobo. I can try the cable option.

The Qleds are not lighting at all. Also none of the USB ports are working on the mobo. I can try the cable option.
Check that the 20+4 pin connector is fully inserted. If the Q-LED lights never light up the motherboard's not getting power.

Also check the CPU 8 pin (it may be 12 pin) connector that it's fully seated too...but I think you'd at least get the QLED's lighting up and stopping at CPU failure if it wasn't.

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
Check that the 20+4 pin connector is fully inserted. If the Q-LED lights never light up the motherboard's not getting power.

Also check the CPU 8 pin (it may be 12 pin) connector that it's fully seated too...but I think you'd at least get the QLED's lighting up and stopping at CPU failure if it wasn't.
The rgb on the motherboard has been lighting up

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
"5000 Ready" typically means there is a BIOS update available. It doesn't always mean it shipped with said installed.

Do you have an enthusiast friend or mom and pop PC shop nearby that might have hands on a 3xxx CPU?
I tried doing the asus bios flash thing to update the bios but it doesn’t seem to be working

The rgb on the motherboard has been lighting up

You're probably better off taking the motherboard and PSU out and setting up a bench test with the motherboard on the box (you should do this anyway with new systems or major system upgrades for this reason). All you need is motherboard/memory, psu, cpu w/stock cooler, gpu and monitor since what you want is to get into BIOS and maybe update. If you get into and update BIOS only then install drives (system SSD or HDD) and do a clean Windows 11 install to verify everything's great before moving it to the case.

If it fails in the case then you know you're doing something basically wrong installing it in the case (missing standoffs, standoffs in the wrong place are common).

If it never works then set up the old B450/1700 board the same way, move GPU and PSU to it to verify it works. Then update it's BIOS to the latest one and install your new 5600X in it. If it works then your new B550 motherboard's probably defective.

Last edited:

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
You're probably better off taking the motherboard and PSU out and setting up a bench test with the motherboard on the box. All you need is motherboard, psu, cpu, gpu and monitor. All you need to do is get into BIOS and maybe update it since whatever BIOS it has is. Then install drives (SSD/HDD) and do a clean Windows 11 install.

If it never works, the set up the old B450/1700 board the same way, move GPU and PSU to it to verify it works. Then update it's BIOS to the latest one and install your new 5600X in it. If it works then your new B550 motherboard's
You're probably better off taking the motherboard and PSU out and setting up a bench test with the motherboard on the box (you should do this anyway with new systems or major system upgrades for this reason). All you need is motherboard/memory, psu, cpu w/stock cooler, gpu and monitor since what you want is to get into BIOS and maybe update. If you get into and update BIOS only then install drives (system SSD or HDD) and do a clean Windows 11 install to verify everything's great before moving it to the case.

If it fails in the case then you know you're doing something basically wrong installing it in the case (missing standoffs, standoffs in the wrong place are common).

If it never works then set up the old B450/1700 board the same way, move GPU and PSU to it to verify it works. Then update it's BIOS to the latest one and install your new 5600X in it. If it works then your new B550 motherboard's probably defective.
just finished setting it up outside of the case and still getting the same exact results. Going to try it with the 1700 and b450 now

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
just finished setting it up outside of the case and still getting the same exact results. Going to try it with the 1700 and b450 now

Aight the cpu works with the updated b450 mobo so it’s definitely a faulty b550 motherboard. Thank you sm

Reactions: drea.drechsler
Aight the cpu works with the updated b450 mobo so it’s definitely a faulty b550 motherboard. Thank you sm
If you haven't thought of it....that Strix B550 - F is a very good board (when it works) but a B450 board will run your 5600X just as well as it will. It's set up for it now with the latest BIOS and 5600X CPU's are extremely efficient and simply don't need an uber-powerful VRM. Unless the B550 has some other features you really want badly you could simply go with what you have and return it for a refund then put the money saved towards something else.

Last edited:

sapdacinco

Prominent
Jul 30, 2022
If you haven't thought of it....that Strix B550 - F is a very good board (when it works) but a B450 board will run your 5600X just as well as it will. It's set up for it now with the latest BIOS and 5600X CPU's are extremely efficient and simply don't need an uber-powerful VRM. Unless the B550 has some other features you really want badly you could simply go with what you have and return it for a refund then put the money saved towards something else.
Yeah, that’s exactly what I’m going to do. The 5600x is running great on the b450 right now so I’m just going to get my money back from micro center. Once again thank you so much for the help, I thought I was going to go insane

Reactions: drea.drechsler