Question Upgraded PC now hanging at random intervals

goldenbuddha777

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Motherboard, CPU and Cooler are new - GPU, RAM and PSU are from previous build which ran without problem.

MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus
CPU: Ryzen9 3900XT
Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22 AIO
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W

Looking for some help in regards to my PC hanging at what I believe to be random intervals. Searched online for hours but cannot seem to find anyone with a similar issue. I believe it to be a 'hang' but am not entirely sure of the terminology, so as for symptoms:
  • Windows explorer stops responding as notified by a pop-up.
  • Any videos/graphics still playing continue to play, but cannot be paused, interacted with.
  • Internet connection completely stops.
  • Can move the mouse, very laggily across the screen but again cannot interact (close/open/click) anything.
I say random intervals because I first encountered the hang mid-game (Cyberpunk 2077), the PC completely froze up, couldn't tab, CTRL+ALT+DEL not working, only option to reset the power. On restarting the MOBO's CPU debug light was lit so I checked the CPU for bent pins, couldn't find any, resat the CPU, cleaned the stock thermal paste, reapplied my own and resat the cooler. Powered on, case, GPU and PSU fans spin, Fan LEDS light but CPU debug light is also lit. I somehow figured that if I leave it in this state then restart after 5-10 minutes or so, it boots successfully - how?

I left it until the next day where to my surprise at power on, it booted to windows without issue, but a hang soon followed and then on reset the CPU light returned. Interestingly this hang occurred without much load, just through file explorer usage with only normal start-up programs running. My first thought was that it was a software problem such as conflicting drivers, so I did a clean windows reinstall, keeping nothing. But problem remains. CHKDSK showed no errors either. I've also tried booting with interchanging only 1 RAM stick to no avail.

I personally don't think its an overheating problem either because CPU is running ~40c Idle and ~85c during 100% usage stress test (OCCT) which to my understanding is a common benchmark with the NZXT Kraken M22. Plus I thought an overheating CPU would force a restart/blue screen which is something I haven't encountered.

My sole 'clue' I believed to be message on start-up which appeared for a couple of seconds stating: "The system has only detected a single 4-pin connector connected for the CPU. It is recommended to connect both the 8-pin and 4-pin power plugs." The 8-pin is definitely connected, but perhaps faulty/not getting enough power? and my understanding was that the additional 4-pin port was for enthusiast over-clockers and was not essential? Nevertheless I put together a rather bootleg Molex -> 4pin ATX so that I have both the 4-pin and 8-pin ports connected but I am still encountering the CPU debug light and when it does boot, inevitable hang.

My best guess is that the either the PSU or the 4+4 CPU cable is faulty, but I am dubious because would a faulty cable/PSU allow me to both boot occasionally and also cause hangs? I don't have another PSU to try, but am open to buying a new one. I am just concerned that my PSU worked fine a few days previous on my old build and that I could be barking up the complete wrong tree when it could just be a faulty CPU/MOBO straight out of the box.

Any advice/tests/experience is appreciated.

Motherboard, CPU and Cooler are new - GPU, RAM and PSU are from previous build which ran without problem.

MOBO: Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus
CPU: Ryzen9 3900XT
Cooler: NZXT Kraken M22 AIO
GPU: ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000MHz
PSU: Corsair CX750M 750W

Looking for some help in regards to my PC hanging at what I believe to be random intervals. Searched online for hours but cannot seem to find anyone with a similar issue. I believe it to be a 'hang' but am not entirely sure of the terminology, so as for symptoms:
  • Windows explorer stops responding as notified by a pop-up.
  • Any videos/graphics still playing continue to play, but cannot be paused, interacted with.
  • Internet connection completely stops.
  • Can move the mouse, very laggily across the screen but again cannot interact (close/open/click) anything.
I say random intervals because I first encountered the hang mid-game (Cyberpunk 2077), the PC completely froze up, couldn't tab, CTRL+ALT+DEL not working, only option to reset the power. On restarting the MOBO's CPU debug light was lit so I checked the CPU for bent pins, couldn't find any, resat the CPU, cleaned the stock thermal paste, reapplied my own and resat the cooler. Powered on, case, GPU and PSU fans spin, Fan LEDS light but CPU debug light is also lit. I somehow figured that if I leave it in this state then restart after 5-10 minutes or so, it boots successfully - how?

I left it until the next day where to my surprise at power on, it booted to windows without issue, but a hang soon followed and then on reset the CPU light returned. Interestingly this hang occurred without much load, just through file explorer usage with only normal start-up programs running. My first thought was that it was a software problem such as conflicting drivers, so I did a clean windows reinstall, keeping nothing. But problem remains. CHKDSK showed no errors either. I've also tried booting with interchanging only 1 RAM stick to no avail.

I personally don't think its an overheating problem either because CPU is running ~40c Idle and ~85c during 100% usage stress test (OCCT) which to my understanding is a common benchmark with the NZXT Kraken M22. Plus I thought an overheating CPU would force a restart/blue screen which is something I haven't encountered.

My sole 'clue' I believed to be message on start-up which appeared for a couple of seconds stating: "The system has only detected a single 4-pin connector connected for the CPU. It is recommended to connect both the 8-pin and 4-pin power plugs." The 8-pin is definitely connected, but perhaps faulty/not getting enough power? and my understanding was that the additional 4-pin port was for enthusiast over-clockers and was not essential? Nevertheless I put together a rather bootleg Molex -> 4pin ATX so that I have both the 4-pin and 8-pin ports connected but I am still encountering the CPU debug light and when it does boot, inevitable hang.

My best guess is that the either the PSU or the 4+4 CPU cable is faulty, but I am dubious because would a faulty cable/PSU allow me to both boot occasionally and also cause hangs? I don't have another PSU to try, but am open to buying a new one. I am just concerned that my PSU worked fine a few days previous on my old build and that I could be barking up the complete wrong tree when it could just be a faulty CPU/MOBO straight out of the box.

Any advice/tests/experience is appreciated.
Did you do a clean install of WIndows after your upgrade? If you didn't it can cause problems.
Not sure about the 4 pin CPU thing. I have heard people say it's not needed like you said. I would rather have it connected personally on my system.

Looking at your build you do have some rather expensive components being powered by a budget power supply. It may be wise to replace the power supply with one that has all the connections for your motherboard.

goldenbuddha777

Reputable
Jun 9, 2016
Did you do a clean install of WIndows after your upgrade? If you didn't it can cause problems.
Not sure about the 4 pin CPU thing. I have heard people say it's not needed like you said. I would rather have it connected personally on my system.

Looking at your build you do have some rather expensive components being powered by a budget power supply. It may be wise to replace the power supply with one that has all the connections for your motherboard.

Yep clean Windows install. Still having hanging issues past few days guess my best bet is to try a PSU swap.