[SOLVED] Upgraded PC, now have massive amount of issues.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Alright so I just bought a new motherboard, cpu, and ram in an attempt to fix my 6 minute long boot times and to no real surprise it didn't fix it, but I could live with that.

What I can't live with is my windows now has constant stuttering, which also distorts audio, the monitors flash black every few seconds for a tiny period of time, I had constant BSODs until I updated my graphics drivers and while that seems to be gone 12 hours later everything else remains. Games close frequently, I have to click twice on everything because the first click doesn't register, graphics in games goes blurry and revert to normal every few seconds, things like Path of Exile and HOTS run at upwards of 100 fps but it feels like 20, and I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm going to put in my old hardware till I can find a fix because at the moment I'm stumped and this is painful to experience.

These are my specs:
RTX 2070,
I9 9900KF,
2 x 8gb RAM (4400mhz) although I have xmp off atm so technically 2133mhz.
MSI mpg z390 gaming pro carbon.

I'll take any suggestions so if you think anything might help just throw it at me.

Solution
Fixed everything.

Slow performance was a result of changing motherboards, which broke my drivers, thanks to Colif for pointing me in the right direction with this as it was fixed by re-installing Windows (Also can be fixed by manually re-installing every driver I believe but I didn't do this).
BIOS time was the result of my power supply.

I'm back to 11 second boots baby.

Thanks to everyone else for the help, it was expensive to buy a new mobo, cpu, and ram just to find out it wasn't the problem but hopefully this thread can help with issues regarding this in the future.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Alright so I just bought a new motherboard, cpu, and ram in an attempt to fix my 6 minute long boot times and to no real surprise it didn't fix it, but I could live with that.
do a clean install if you replaced most of your pc
, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

what is your boot drive? it would have been where i looked for slow boot times.

Reactions: JasonNs_ and RodroX

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
My boot drive is a Samsung Evo 850 120gb SSD and the boot time is not my main concern, it's everything else.

I've re-installed windows about 7 months back and I had the problem even before then. So I'm guessing the drive itself needs replacing but I can do that if you think it'll fix everything else.

As much to my dismay.

Colif

Win 11 Master
My boot drive is a Samsung Evo 850 120gb SSD and the boot time is not my main concern, it's everything else.

I've re-installed windows about 7 months back and I had the problem even before then. So I'm guessing the drive itself needs replacing but I can do that if you think it'll fix everything else.

As much to my dismay.
if you replaced cpu & mb since that clean install, then yes, you should do that. it might fix problem, otherwise it is something you didn't replace yet that is causing problems.

have you run samsung magician on the drive and checked its health? https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
if you replaced cpu & mb since that clean install, then yes, you should do that. it might fix problem, otherwise it is something you didn't replace yet that is causing problems.

have you run samsung magician on the drive and checked its health? https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/
Ok I have a media creation tool on a USB somewhere so I'll find that and do another fresh install. The only parts not replaced is the PSU, that's literally it. Ill run that samsung magician now.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
so is it slow in the bios or slow loading windows?

cause replacing motherboard should have fixed that. if it was the bios.
It is slow in BIOS, the second bios ends windows boots up almost instantly. Changing motherboards did not fix it, I've used three different boards.

Looks like a motherboard problem... Hard to tell without another one.
I'm using a fresh board, installed it yesterday. I've had this issue across three different motherboards.
I dont know if it stutters in BIOS, I will have to get back to you on that. A fresh windows install did not fix the boot times problem.

I have drastically reduced my issues such as windows stutter by enabling XMP2. however the issues still occur, just much less frequently.

Is your ram all from the same matched kit?
If not, you can have strange problems.
One of which is that the motherboard needs to find a setting at boot time that will let the ram work.

To check your ram,
Run memtest86
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
If you can run a full pass with NO errors, your ram should be ok.

Running several more passes will sometimes uncover an issue, but it takes more time.
Probably not worth it unless you really suspect a ram issue.

The common factor here is the ssd.
120gb is usually too small for the C drive.
Many things default to the C drive, and when it gets full, you run out of available nand blocks and performance suffers.

Regardless of what your issue turns out to be, consider buying a larger ssd.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
My ram is from the same kit, and along with the new motherboard I also put new ram in. No errors on the previous set of ram and I tested those sticks only a few months ago.

My money is on the SSD too at this point, going to get a new one to replace my current 120gb one. Will get a fresh windows with it too.

Good plan on a larger ssd.

Another common part might be the PSU.
What is the make/model?
A poor psu can cause some hard to diagnose issues.
Corsair CX 750m

I ran that samsung app, apparently drive health is good. Only had to update firmware on my secondary SSD, didn't fix bios times.
Do you mean you have the stuttering issue in one of the boards or all three of the boards? If you're talking about long boot times then it might be the SSD, but the stuttering does still look like a motherboard problem.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
Do you mean you have the stuttering issue in one of the boards or all three of the boards? If you're talking about long boot times then it might be the SSD, but the stuttering does still look like a motherboard problem.
The stuttering in windows only happens in my newest motherboard. My old board had a some performance issues but none that fit the current issues.

I'd like to add that enabling XMP2 reduced the issues (apart from bios time) but did not remove them entirely.

I've ordered a new SSD to replace my current one used to boot, I already have a windows media creation USB stick so when it arrives I'll go for that option. If it fixes the problem I'll mark an appropriate comment as the answer.

Last edited:

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
To post an update on this my performance issues seem to be at least partially connected to "system interrupts" hogging my PC. Which is apparently a result of either faulty hardware or driver issues.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
if it loads instantly into windows and you don't see any other weirdness from the ssd, I would think its something else apart from ssd.

wonder if you can set post to verbose so to see what its doing.
Well it seems the performance issues were due to driver errors, I put the newer hardware back in and re-installed most of the drivers on my pc, deleted the old mobo ones and now everything seems to run smoothly. Not gonna hold my breath though.

If it does stay smooth I'll come back here and put it as the answer, otherwise I dunno. BIOS times still aren't fixed eitherway.

I'm not sure what you mean by set the post to verbose.

Colif

Win 11 Master
POST = Power on Self Test
Verbose would mean that instead of showing the flash screen, it shows text of the processes going on at the time.

what bios times? the 6 minute pause?

so what didn't you replace as if its still slow to boot, there is still some part of your hardware that is slowing rest of process down. Isolating it is the fun part.

Adamo265

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2015
POST = Power on Self Test
Verbose would mean that instead of showing the flash screen, it shows text of the processes going on at the time.

what bios times? the 6 minute pause?

so what didn't you replace as if its still slow to boot, there is still some part of your hardware that is slowing rest of process down. Isolating it is the fun part.
Ahh I see.

Yeah BIOS is six minutes to load, so I dont get that "press (x) key to enter BIOS" screen for roughly six minutes on my current motherboard, just black.

Only part in this PC now that hasn't been swapped out is the PSU. Only one person has said it might be a problem though, and even then he was iffy with it.

I'd like to add that unplugging all drives did not fix the boot times, so I just wasted money on that SSD as far as fixing stuff goes. Can still use it though so not the end of the world.

Last edited: