[SOLVED] Upgraded PC, now it either bsods or restarts within minutes of booting up

LeipeMeuteleider

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015
I've just upgraded my cpu from an i5 6600k to a 5600x. Since then it never manages to run for more than a couple minutes. Sometimes it just restarts on its own, but more often it just bsods.

I'm trying to install windows from a cd to my new ssd. I've removed every other drive to ensure they don't interfere, but I can never get past around 4% or so because it keeps crashing. The crashes occur when booting from my old ssd as well.

I've run memory diagnostics, turned off automatic reboot, and a few other things. At this point I'm completely stuck as all the solutions I've found on google so far either don't work at all or aren't possible to do with how quickly my pc shuts down again. I don't know what to do.

Some of the bsod errors I've been getting:
-Kernel Auto Boost Lock Acquisition with Raised IRQL
-attempted execute of noexecute memory
-kmode exception not handled
-system thread exception not handled
-system service exception
-attempted write to readonly memory

PC specs:
Gtx 980
Ryzen 5 5600x
32gb hyperx fury 2666mhz ddr4
Viper steel 2tb m.2 ssd
Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4s

I'm trying to install windows 10 from a dvd. My old ssd is also running windows 10.

If anyone can help that'd be much appreciated.

Last edited:

LeipeMeuteleider

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015
Some Widows 10 DVD's are for propitiatory one time install, what does the disc say on it?

It says windows 10 home full version. For distribution in combination with a new pc.

I don't think the disc has anything to do with it though since it has the exact same problem when I boot from my ssd which already has windows installed on it (and was working perfectly fine until I upgraded my cpu/mobo)

Your disc "windows 10 home full version. For distribution in combination with a new pc. " has it been installed on another PC? It is OEM only made to be used once on one PC, if so You need to download a new copy of windows 10 on a USB and activate it later . There may be a way to use your old SSD but I don't remember the exact procedure, something about deleting all the the old drivers in the device manager on the old motherboard, shutdown and install on new motherboard let windows detect all the new drivers. See this discussion here https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/moving-old-ssd-to-a-new-pc-without-reinstalling-os-apps/
Easiest way would to install windows 10 from Microsoft then activate with a windows 7 or 8 key!
Also check here https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/windows-10-clean-install-tutorial.3170366/

Last edited:

LeipeMeuteleider

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015
Disc has never been used on another pc, I broke the seal on the packaging just yesterday. I haven't been having issues with installing, just with my pc crashing.

If my new ram doesn't work I'll try removing all drivers tomorrow.

ragnarok0274

Proper
Sep 12, 2020
Not related to the problem, but I have to.
CDs are very different from DVDs.
CDs can hold up to 700 MB of data/80 min of audio. DVDs can hold up to 4.7 GB of data/120 min of video on a single-layer disc, and dual-layer DVDs can hold up to 8.5 GB of data/240 min of video.
Also, DVD-R and DVD+R are different and some older DVD drives may not work with both - either DVD-R or DVD+R until around 2005/2006 AFAIK.

Reactions: lynx1021

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
What slots are the ram in? Should use just a single stick in A2, which is normally the 2nd slot from the cpu, but on some mobo's can be the 4th. If it fails with one stick, swap sticks.

You'll only need to get into bios, from there you'll need to use ASR bios update. Most motherboards, even new purchases, do not come with a current bios that's 5000 series ready.

Once bios is updated, then change boot order for DVD as first, then ssd. Then try to install windows via DVD.

LeipeMeuteleider

Honorable
Mar 10, 2015
I replaced the ram earlier today which definitely made a difference as I was now able to install windows almost fully. Just as I was getting to the setup process however it rebooted out of nowhere again. Unfortunately I was very short on time so I did not get to test the system any more than that. I'll post an update tomorrow. Thanks everyone for the help so far!