Question Upgraded PC now keeps crashing/resetting ?

eXistenZ2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
I did an upgrade to my gaming pc with a friend (who regulary does builds), and unfortunately the excitement quickly turned sour when encountering that he keeps crashing/resetting when playing the more demanding games (AC Mirage or R6 Siege) within half an hour, and I have no idea what the cause is.
Specs: Ryzen 7 5800x - 32gbRam - RX 7800XT

Eventviewer gives me this (loosly translated)

An irrepairable hardware error has occured

reported by: Processorcore
Errorsource: Machine Check Exception
Errortype: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor-APIC-id: 9

Any suggestions to do or try to narrow down the problem?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
CPU cooler:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time.

Since you mentioned performing an upgrade to your build, we'll be seeing a set for before the upgrade and after the upgrade.

eXistenZ2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
Sorry i cant include all information, im not that tech savy and let my mate do most (aka all) of the work

CPU: AMD ryzen 5800x *
CPU cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i elite capellix XT *
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 *
Ram: DDR4 Aegis 2x16GB 3200MHz - *
SSD/HDD: Kingston KC3000 2TB M.2 SSD *
GPU: RX 7800 XT 16gb *
PSU: Xilence XP730RS 730W
Chassis: Fractal
Monitor: 34inch curved

Everything with an * is new.
The PSu being at fault as it is over 4y old has crossed my mind as well (as there is also indication of coil whine), but since im already 40% over my original budget, I want to eliminate any other possibilities/narrow down before I invest there

Original build had AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Six-Core Processor+ B450 Mortar + AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT, but as im in the process of selling those parts and have no intention of reverting, Id like to focus on the new build

eXistenZ2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
Replaced the PSU with be quiet! straight power 12 850W.
However the crashes remain, but its now clear why; CPU overheating
Thermal paste is ok (redone twice), and from what I find online this is a fairly typical issue with this cpu.

Would trying the above be a decent idea?

eXistenZ2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
So atm there is just the boxed air cooler in it, as we've taken the AiO for some testing. (see link)
Temps at completly idle it will drop down to 35-40, but a bit of load (starting up a few programs will quickly push it to 60.

Some games will push it easily over 85, with constantly at 91 for Mirage.
At the moment I disabled xmp which in a limited test didnt cause a crash or overheating, but still pushed it to 90

Did get this in the event log yesterday with a non-heat related crash

Irrepearable hardware error
errorscource: Machine Check Exception
errortype: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor-APIC-id: 11

View: https://imgur.com/a/t9XLrAY

Yeah that cooler won't be sufficient for that CPU at all so it'd probably be smart to lower the PPT to maybe 85-95W until you've got better cooling back in there. With 2 sticks of 3200 DRAM you should generally be okay with XMP.

Did a bit of reading and it sounds like it is also possible for these issues to be power plan related. You could try disabling global c states to see if that makes any difference.

Reactions: eXistenZ2

eXistenZ2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
Yeah that cooler won't be sufficient for that CPU at all so it'd probably be smart to lower the PPT to maybe 85-95W until you've got better cooling back in there. With 2 sticks of 3200 DRAM you should generally be okay with XMP.

Did a bit of reading and it sounds like it is also possible for these issues to be power plan related. You could try disabling global c states to see if that makes any difference.
Cooler should be back installed tonight.
Do you think the error message above is related to the heating? Because that is what I get in the event log when I crash without a cpu heat alert

eXistenZ2

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2016
So we couldnt install the new cooler yet, but isntead undervolted the cpu andthis helped a lot with temps (25c lower during gaming)

looked to be fine past days, but again got this error

Irrepearable hardware error
errorscource: Machine Check Exception
errortype: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor-APIC-id: 15

could it just be a dodgy cpu? which might explain temperature as well.
What does the error above even mean?