Question Upgraded PC, now my computer restarts almost immediately after trying to run Windows

chemdawg

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
So recently I upgraded my PC.
I installed:
i7 9700k
16gb of DDR4-3200 (8gbx2) G Skill Ripjaws V
MSI MPG z390 gaming plus mobo
Corsair CX 750M PSU
500gb Samsung Evo SSD

Basically, my computer won’t stay on the seconds it accesses Windows. It will boot past the BIOS, and if I leave it at BIOS it will stay on. But as soon as you see the little dotted cogwheel showing that Windows is preparing itself, it shuts off within seconds with no warning.

I didn’t link my GPU because I’ve rooted out that that is not the issue as even after taking it out and using the onboard gfx, the problem persists.
I reseated everything in my tower, including the CPU. Unplugged everything from the motherboard(power switches, RAM, power adapters, SATA cables (even tried new SATA cables).
I tried taking out one RAM and moving it around to see if there were any shorter slots.
I tried using a known-working SSD to see if that was the issue, still restarts. After 2 or 3 restarts it will give me the “Recovery: it looks like Windows didn’t load correctly” error then restart immediately after.
The fact that it shuts off once windows starts loading makes it seem like a hard drive issue, but like I said, I’ve tried using an alternate SSD and it did the same thing. I also managed to attempt a clean install before I checked with the alternate SSD since I didn’t have anything important that I couldn’t easily get back on it. No luck. Most of my PC is new, and I did also check to make sure everything was 100% compatible on pcpartpicker and everything checked out.
I’ve never been this stumped before, all of my other builds were relatively seamless if not a complete breeze and even therapeutic, but this is making me lose sleep over it. Please help and let me know if you need me to gather more information :)

DSzymborski

Titan
Did the clean install itself actually work? Did you have the same behavior? And was it truly a clean install, as in wiping the OS drive completely and then installing it on USB flash media? Gotta ask because this behavior is common when you don't fully wipe and reinstall and since this wasn't your first option -- and it should be with any significant hardware upgrade -- makes me worry that corners were cut elsewhere too.

chemdawg

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Did the clean install itself actually work? Did you have the same behavior? And was it truly a clean install, as in wiping the OS drive completely and then installing it on USB flash media? Gotta ask because this behavior is common when you don't fully wipe and reinstall and since this wasn't your first option -- and it should be with any significant hardware upgrade -- makes me worry that corners were cut elsewhere too.
I did it through the Windows Media Installation via USB. I formatted it and reinstalled Windows, and yes, it was successfully wiped.

chemdawg

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Try a different PSU.

BTW - what graphics card are you using?
Don’t have any other compatible PSUs lying around, I will say that I bought the PSU before I bought the motherboard, ram and CPU and used it on my previous desktop and it worked fine.
My graphics card is an EVGA ACX 2.0 (GeForce 970).
The issue persisted with and without the graphics card plugged in

chemdawg

Reputable
Jan 13, 2016
Could be CPU overheat protection kicking in. Check CPU temperature.
What cpu cooler are you using?
Running at a steady 31-32c with a Corsair H60. Even tried re-seating it along with the cpu, nothing.
I attempted doing another clean install of windows just to be sure, it won’t even stay on long enough for to select the language and edition of windows I want when I boot from the media installer usb.

TRENDING THREADS