PandaChef

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
Hi there,

I upgraded my PC to

AMD Ryzen 5600x
amd red devil 6600 xt
MSI B550-A PRO

No display comes on when I boot it up. HDMI is covered to the GPU. The lights on GPU light up but the fans don't turn (guessing this is because it hasn't reached the threshold needed).

Did some research and it appears that the BIOS might need updating. Is this the problem? If so how do I do this?

Thanks

Solution
AMD Ryzen 5600x
amd red devil 6600 xt
MSI B550-A PRO
Corsair 178300 Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP
Corsair CX 600W

Tried doing the flash update but no success. I am connected to my monitor through HDMI on my GPU is that fine?

The CX 600 is an older and poor quality PSU. Yes, you want it hooked up to the GPU. Port shouldn't matter, unless you have a bad cable or port, on the monitor. Make sure they are fully seated, by disconnecting them, and reinserting them. You have the external connections connected, to the GPU, correct?

PandaChef

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
Most likely that is the issue. What is the make/model of your power supply? A poor quality unit, or one without sufficient wattage can also cause your system not to post.
AMD Ryzen 5600x
amd red devil 6600 xt
MSI B550-A PRO
Corsair CX 600W

Tried doing the flash update but no success. I am connected to my monitor through HDMI on my GPU is that fine?

Oct 14, 2021
Unlikely to be the PSU. 500W is the recommended and Corsair is pretty solid.
The BIOS has to be upgraded for the 5600x, so the update is the right move.

Tried doing the flash update but no success.
  • What was the outcome? i.e.: did the LEDs indicate a successful flashing?
  • Did you try version 7C56vA7 or later? 5600x support is available from 7C56vA7 onward.
  • Assume you attempted the flash with nothing plugged into the motherboard as in the video? If not suggest trying again.
Highly recommend making a call to MSI for support. Ask how you can confirm whether the BIOS was successfully installed (without needing a responsive video card :D)

logainofhades

Titan
AMD Ryzen 5600x
amd red devil 6600 xt
MSI B550-A PRO
Corsair CX 600W

The CX 600 is an older and poor quality PSU. Yes, you want it hooked up to the GPU. Port shouldn't matter, unless you have a bad cable or port, on the monitor. Make sure they are fully seated, by disconnecting them, and reinserting them. You have the external connections connected, to the GPU, correct?

Solution

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, BIOS is my guess. If you've never done it, your motherboard doesn't know about the Zen 3 processors. You'll have to update it.

As for the PSU, while the BIOS is more likely this problem, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and powering your new, very modern parts with a cheaply made, group-regulated PSU from a decade ago is an exceedingly poor idea.

DSzymborski

Titan
B550 was released for the Ryzen 5000-series so I would find it extremely strange if BIOS doesn't support it.
Check everything again. Unplug, plug in.

Why would you find this strange? B550 came out before Zen 3 processors and motherboard sellers had their designs finalized long before even that. B550 motherboards almost invariably didn't support Zen 3 out of the box without a BIOS update until you started to see the later revisions. It would be stranger if this did work. This was probably the question that was answered the most this time last year as probably a thousand people with this issue came through these forums looking for help getting Zen 3 to work on their X570/B550 motherboards.

And if you don't believe me, it's really easy to check. Pretty much every B550 motherboard released that summer didn't get their first BIOS update that was compatible with Zen 3 until well into the fall. This board specifically was released in June with a BIOS from June and didn't get Zen 3 compatibility until November.

PandaChef

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Yes the problem was the bios. I tried doing flash update inside case, but it didn't work.

So then stripped it and did an outside build, still no post. Tried updating the bios again and voila my monitor went from orange to blue and the bios appeared. Pure ectasy haha.

I am not a PC expert but it seems to me like a bizarre problem and was equally surprised when updating it actually worked.

Was making me crazy, such a relief when it finally worked. Literally was about to book an appointment with my local PC shop.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, the release was slightly out of sync with the CPUs. But I wouldn't expect a new motherboard bought this year comes with the first release version of the BIOS.

Pretty much anything that was sitting on the shelves would still have the original BIOS. CPUs were harder to find than motherboards were for a long time so I'd expect there are still a lot of motherboards out there from mid-2020 still. We're still getting a lot of it, even now!

DSzymborski

Titan
Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys.

Yes the problem was the bios. I tried doing flash update inside case, but it didn't work.

So then stripped it and did an outside build, still no post. Tried updating the bios again and voila my monitor went from orange to blue and the bios appeared. Pure ectasy haha.

I am not a PC expert but it seems to me like a bizarre problem and was equally surprised when updating it actually worked.

Was making me crazy, such a relief when it finally worked. Literally was about to book an appointment with my local PC shop.

Glad that you talked to us then since the price was right! We've encountered the issue quite a lot. Problems that can be fixed for free are the very best kind!

What I will ask you to do is pay the advice forward. If you see someone in a similar position with a BIOS issue like this, you're now aware of the situation and can help them out, too!

Reactions: PandaChef