Question Upgraded PC with a different pair of ram, Not detecting :(

saifury

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Hi guys
So my pc currently has 8gb (2x4gb) of gskill ddr3 ram, which is not quite enough anymore so i decided to upgrade it with another pair of 2x4gb ram from patriot. Little did I know that the second pair would not be detected by my computer

This is my new Patriot ram:

And this is my current gskill ram:

I understand that they are different pairs, and ive read the manual on my mobo which is the Asrock b75-Pro3m and it recommends to use identical ram memory but i was wondering if this would still work?
This is my cpu
So I can see the ram chips in CPU-Z but only shows the gskill pair in the bios.
Please help!

EDIT: also strange thing that happens when i install all 4, only slots 2 and 4 which are dual channelled, show up in the bios, nomatter which ram kit i use (either the patriot or the kingston)

Last edited:
They have different timings. Very different. The first is CL11 and the second is CL9. You will have to run them both at CL11. Disable XMP when you have both installed and leave timings on Auto or change them to the same as the one with (11-11-11-28-40).

saifury

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
They have different timings. Very different. The first is CL11 and the second is CL9. You will have to run them both at CL11. Disable XMP when you have both installed and leave timings on Auto or change them to the same as the one with (11-11-11-28-40).
Yes ive had them both run at 11 11 11 28 clock speeds, they were set on auto originally and didnt work so i set them manually to the slower clock speed but still nothing. also what is the last number? didnt see anything in the bios to change tRC to 40.
theyre both 1.5v but should i do something with the voltages? or the maybe down the frequency to 1333mhz?