[SOLVED] Upgraded pc with burn smell and didn't turn back on

Feb 2, 2019
Upgraded CPU, motherboard and ram, I did manage to get everything together and everything ran fine. I decided to leave the pc on overnight in order to download a bunch of things. I woke up the following morning to a burnt smell and the pc powered off. I was wondering what might have caused that to happen?
I did end up putting the old parts back into the pc in order to get it functional again. And I do have a back-up battery/surge protector.
GPU: Asus ROG strix 1070Ti
PSU: Corsair CX850M
CPU: Intel I7-9700K
MB: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING
Ram: CORSAIR 16GB 2X8 D4 3200 C16 VL

Solution
First thing would be to look for any burn marks/smell around to see if you can pinpoint the location.
Could be a fried component on the motherboard, or bad connection with the RAM, or the PSU burnt a connection, or any other dozen of components.
I personally wouldnt be using the system at all, old parts or not, until you find the burn location. If it was PSU related you want to know first.
First thing would be to look for any burn marks/smell around to see if you can pinpoint the location.
Could be a fried component on the motherboard, or bad connection with the RAM, or the PSU burnt a connection, or any other dozen of components.
I personally wouldnt be using the system at all, old parts or not, until you find the burn location. If it was PSU related you want to know first.

Solution
Feb 2, 2019
Upon closer inspection it appears that one of the motherboards capacitors blew open just a bit. I notice light burn marks in the direction it opened. What would cause the motherboard capacitor to react that way?

It would depend mostly on what the purpose of it was, which you would have to contact the manufacturer about.
Chances are, it was just a bad cap and would blow anyway, I doubt anything caused it. Typically PSUs are the major issue here, but your unit is quality.

I would take some good pictures of it and start the RMA process.