Upgraded PC - Won't post. No display, no power to usb devices

Jan 17, 2019
First off, I have read ad nauseam many forum posts and articles, to include the "PC will not post" checklist. Here is my situation.

Old Build:

MOBO - MSI Gaming M5 Z170A
CPU - i5 6600k
GPU - Asus Strix 980 ti
RAM - Corsair Dominator 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3,000hz
PSU - EVGA Supernova G2 - 1,000 watt gold+
Cooler - Noctua NH D-15
----------------------------------------------
New Build:

MOBO - MSI Meg Z390 Ace
CPU - i9 9900k
GPU - Zotac RTX 2080 ti
RAM - Corsair Dominator 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3,466hz
PSU - EVGA Supernova G3 - 1,000 watt gold+
Cooler - Noctua NH D-15

Upgraded GPU, MOBO, RAM, and CPU. Build went as planned, fired up and worked like a dream for ≈24 hours.. Powered through benchmark programs, played games, etc. Suddenly, at a random mouse click the display went black with "no input" and loss of power to usb keyboard and mouse. Hard reboot.. nothing. Swapped displayport for HDMI, hard reboot, and I see the MOBO splash screen, then same result. Black screen, no power to usb devices. I can get into BIOS and everything works and looks as it should.

After trying all the basics, RAM swap, single stick, check all connections, etc. I cleared cmos. PC fired up and worked about 10 minutes then same result. Next, tried repair install of Win 10.. again, computer worked about 10 minutes followed by the same result.

Next I completely rebuilt the pc and swapped out the power supply (EVGA 1,000 watt gold+). Computer fired up and worked for almost two days... upon shutting down, same result.

I have tried literally everything from every troubleshooting list I can find. I filed a claim with Amazon to replace the motherboard and will try that next.

Any suggestions or past experience with this issue? Thanks in advance!

Cheers!

Jan 17, 2019

The motherboard doesn't have any display connections (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort). With the usb devices losing power and the computer not posting, I was fairly confident it was not GPU related.