[SOLVED] Upgraded PC worked fine for a couple weeks that now hard crashes without any obvious issues

Slapoy

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
I upgraded my Mobo/CPU a couple weeks ago and started fresh with a clean install of Windows 11 for safety and had zero issues until last night.

I started up Halo Infinite and opened YouTube like any other night after work and noticed the YouTube videos were chugging, freezing etc when clicked into the game, worked fine when I alt-tab out. After some matches the PC just straight up powers off, then boots back to life. This happened a couple times before I started monitoring temps but couldn't see anything that was getting crazy hot.

I ran all the typical stress test stuff without issue, MEMTEST cleared with flying colours, re-seated CPU and RAM etc. Tonight I reinstalled to Windows 10 thinking maybe there's something funky with Win 11 and my 11700k. Now I can watch videos without issue while in game and I was able to play for well over an hour, but I just experienced the same crash again.

Hardware -
ASRock Z590 Pro4
i7-11700k w/ Corsair H100x
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super
EVGA Supernova 650 G2
Stuffed into a Thermaltake H200 TG (poor choice, picked on a whim from MSY because my old case was too small for this motherboard)

CPU temps max out at 80 under gaming load, cleared 100 under stress test without issue.
GPU peaks at 60 in general with a hotspot at 80 tops
Memory stays under 45
Some sensors on the Motherboard get to 70-80

Troubleshooting so far -
Monitoring Temps under normal & stress loads
Reconfigured fan layout, removed front panel and opened side of case to help with temps
New thermal paste
Re-seated RAM & CPU
Checked all power connectors
Over the top fan curve
Fresh install of Windows 10
Driver updates and rollbacks

I've checked Event Viewer and it just shows the unexpected shutdown error without anything helpful

I have no idea where to go from here without buying more hardware, even then I'd just be guessing. I can't work out why it would have been running fine before this. A second reinstall of Windows should eliminate any software issues?

Any suggestions would be massively appreciated!

UPDATE : I'm not 100% sure my issues are resolved, but I managed to run my PC under heavy load for a good 8+ hours overnight and didn't have the same issue pop up.

I lowered my CPU boost temp limits by about 50% in Intel XTU and dropped my GPU temp limit by 10% along with some game setting a little. I immediately noted lower temps, peak temps were 20c lower than previously and obviously I had lower power draw - I'm betting on my issue being the power supply and will be buying a new one asap, and will be looking at a better case with smoother airflow.

If you're not sure about your power supply consider using Outer Vision PSU Calculator as recommended by punkncat below, made it pretty clear my PSU was already riding a thin line especially with its age.

Last edited:
Solution
Without knowing your full system spec, I put what you listed and a guess on storage into Outervision PSU calculator and it indicates you could be pulling over ~450W+ on load without listing fans, lighting, additional storage, etc.
How old is the current PSU?

In Event Viewer are you seeing lots of Event 41? It may only be generated due to the unexpected shutdown, but can also be indicative of a bad PSU.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Without knowing your full system spec, I put what you listed and a guess on storage into Outervision PSU calculator and it indicates you could be pulling over ~450W+ on load without listing fans, lighting, additional storage, etc.

In Event Viewer are you seeing lots of Event 41? It may only be generated due to the unexpected shutdown, but can also be indicative of a bad PSU.

Solution

Slapoy

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017

Oh no kidding? I was trying to work out my estimated power draw using numbers from Intel and Nvidia but got a way lower number than that and didn't even consider storage or fans. PSU would be at least 5 years old, might be 6 or 7, my memory is pretty foggy. It came in a built PC with a i7-6700k in it as current so that dates it.

Event 41 is exactly the error I'm getting, but I thought it was a generic "Unexpected Shutdown" type code so didn't think to hard about it.

I'm running a Kingston 1TB A2000 M.2, Crucial MX500 1TB and a Samsung 850 Evo 250GB for Storage
Fans I've got the two attached to the H100x as standard, the stock Thermaltake fan from this case and two old Corsair 140mm fans from my old case.
All addressable LEDs are turned off right now as part of the whole troubleshooting heat thing

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am not one to throw out things that are operational, but given the age of that PSU and the power draw and cost of that new equipment my recommend would be to go after a new good quality PSU. The old one served it's time.

If you suspect heat, drop the side panel to the case and direct a fan blowing in there. Based on what you report back I don't specifically see an issue given the components.

Slapoy

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017
I am not one to throw out things that are operational, but given the age of that PSU and the power draw and cost of that new equipment my recommend would be to go after a new good quality PSU. The old one served it's time.

If you suspect heat, drop the side panel to the case and direct a fan blowing in there. Based on what you report back I don't specifically see an issue given the components.

I don't necessarily suspect heat, though this case isn't ideal as I have to run my radiator as exhaust in the front with not a lot of space lol

I think I'll buy a new PSU just to be safe, I'm gonna need to in the near enough future anyway. How far over my estimate power draw should I go? With fans etc the calculator guesses around 500w on load so maybe 750 for some safe headroom?

What might have changed since all was well?

Is the motherboard bios current?
Sometimes there are fixes for strange issues.

If your h100 has some age on it, it may have a air leak.
AIO coolers do not last forever.
Over time air intrudes via the tubes and bubbles cause problems.
If it is over 5 years old, consider changing it out.

Motherboard vrm cooling is often a forgotten consideration.
Installing a aio radiator is a catch 22 proposition.
You either go for max cpu cooling at the expense of motherboard and gpu cooling or vice versa.

Noctua maintains a list of coolers suitable for various processors.
Here is the list for a 11700K:
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-11700K-1284
The cooling needs do not seem to be very high for your processor.

Your psu is of good quality, and 650w should be fine.
Here is a handy chart:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm

On the psu, buy quality for the long term.
Look for a 7 to 10 year warranty.
Modern graphics cards can have power spikes beyond the advertised requirements. I would look for a 850w unit.
A psu will only use the power demanded of it, regardless of the max capability.
This time of year, Seasonic seems to have sales.

Windows 11 is of interest primarily for those using 12th gen processors.
Being new, there are inevitable glitches.
No idea if they are impacting you.
Consider your new install using windows 10. You can upgrade to 11 in the future.

Slapoy

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017

Nothing has changed since everything was working fine, at least I haven't changed anything. I thought maybe an auto update but the fresh install should have cleared that up.

Current BIOs, I flashed it before building everything up.

H100i was bought new to go with this CPU because my old AIO at the 5-6+ year mark. I wonder if its worth buying a more standard fan cooler.

I'm gonna grab a PSU next for sure, might not be for a few weeks with Christmas and all going on but I think that is the first plan of attack.

In theory if I limit my frame rate in game and lower some settings I shouldn't draw as much power, then should be able to run for longer right? I'll give that a go tonight and maybe that will tell me if the PSU is at fault.

Interestingly since swapping back to Windows 10 my CPU has been a lot cooler on average, it was idling nearer to 50c and shooting up to 90c under full load. Just something I noticed lol

Thanks heaps mate.

Last edited:

Slapoy

Honorable
Jan 8, 2017

Not 100% confirmation but I stayed up all night last night for Night Shift change over and gamed all night with YouTube going on, even multiple Twitch streams at one point and had zero crashes or even hitches.

All I did was lower my CPU boost temp limits by about 50% and my GPU by 10% in MSI Afterburner. It was cooler last night, but I saw temps 20c lower across the board. I think either lowering usage let my PSU keep up, or I was spiking temps and my case/cooling situation needs attention.

I'm going to buy a new PSU anyway, and I've just added a new bigger case to my birthday wish list. I'm thinking a Lian Li O11 :unsure:

Cheers for the direction, I'll edit my main post to maybe help some people in the future!