Question Upgraded processor and suddenly all the usb ports stopped working in hp dv6 6119tx notebook

pruthvi911

Prominent
Jun 29, 2023
Hi everyone,

I am from India. I recently upgraded my processor from i5 2410m to i7 2720qm. There is a difference in power 35w to 45w and number of cores is 4 to 8. Processor is mentioned for direct upgrade in my service or repair manual and also this isn't the top of the line. Should I upgrade psu from 90w to 120w.

1)immediately after change my laptop refused to boot, I have reset the cmos by removing motherboard battery and it booted successfully.

2)up till that point I have not tested any regular peripheral ports as laptop is working awesome. But eventually it crashed, so after bios test wizard I came to know that one of my ram is failed, after testing I removed the faulty one and system is OK, but when I have checked the usb port for bios update via pendrive usb 3.0 stopped working completely. But usb 2.0 working.

3)After some time I have tried bios update with update utility save on hdd and successfully updated. But after that all usb ports went off, no power at all.

As of now system is working fine except usb

Tell me what to do please.

Last edited:

Misgar

Commendable
Mar 2, 2023
After updating the BIOS, did you check to see if there is an option in the BIOS to enable/disable USB?

When you were fitting the new CPU, did you remove or disturb any ribbon cables and forget to replace them?

Are the USB 2 and USB 3 ports soldered directly to the motherboard, or on separate daughter boards?

If you have an Ethernet port, is that still working? Ditto any other ports, e.g. SD card reader, LPT1, PS/2 mouse/keyboard port, 9-way serial port, etc.

When the RAM failed after the upgrade (coincidence?) did you replace both memory modules if more than one was fitted? If one SODIMM fails out of two, you should really replace both with a new matched pair.

With a more powerful CPU, you might find the battery takes longer to charge when you are using the laptop, because more power is going to the new processor.

If you get USB working and the 120W PSU is a standard option for the laptop, it might be worth upgrading for faster battery charging when you are using the laptop. Until then, keep on using the 90W supply.

Reactions: pruthvi911

pruthvi911

Prominent
Jun 29, 2023
Hi everyone
I found solution to the actual problem & I. E. The bios reset has not happened properly.
After I changed processor bios is locked, but when I removed cmos battery & putted back in 5 minutes bios reset has done & laptop started but actually it didn't happened correctly. As no usb port is working - no power to USB ports. I am mentioning here what I have done later on,
1)i have reformatted windows from upgraded windows 10 to windows 7 as this was a factory os,
2)I removed cmos battery & putted back twice, then suddenly after boot windows started to install driver for new processor and usb 3.0 and 2.0 at a time
That's how everything is working again as usual,
3)Then I have installed pop os, then everything is working properly and stable.
I thought this might help someone, that's why I wrote down it all.
Just remember that until windows installed drivers by itself for usb 3.0 and 2.0 anything usb don't work as bios is actually in lock mode that's what I think it is.
I am quite surprised that I have installed usb 2.0 & 3.0 drivers several times but nothing happened previously. I think bios does not allow windows to detect the usb devices.
Thanks and regards