[SOLVED] Upgraded PSU now system will not turn on with SSD plugged in.

jackgourley_

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
Hey,

I went from a 650w EVGA psu to an 850w, the pc works perfectly except for when I plug in the sandisk ssd that I have all of my games on.

I have changed all of the psu cables for the new ones with the upgrade and I’ve even plugged in a SATA cable just for the SSD but no luck.

PC turns on but instantly turns off like a surge safety by the psu.

Last edited:
Solution
You should never "just try old cables" from the old PSU because the damage happens instantly if the old cables are not compatible with the new psu. However, it seems OP already had a problem with the SSD before trying the old cables, or am I missing something here? In any event, yeah, you may have fried that SSD now if you used the EVGA SATA power cable with the Corsair PSU.
The new PSU has modular cables? If the psu came with more than one SATA power cable, try a different one. Maybe the one you are using is defective and has a short in it. As you have already stated, only use the cables that came with your new PSU.

jackgourley_

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
The new PSU has modular cables? If the psu came with more than one SATA power cable, try a different one. Maybe the one you are using is defective and has a short in it. As you have already stated, only use the cables that came with your new PSU.
Yes I've only used the new cables that came with the new PSU and I have used all of the cables I currently have. I did try old cables also but nothing has worked.

You should never "just try old cables" from the old PSU because the damage happens instantly if the old cables are not compatible with the new psu. However, it seems OP already had a problem with the SSD before trying the old cables, or am I missing something here? In any event, yeah, you may have fried that SSD now if you used the EVGA SATA power cable with the Corsair PSU.

Solution