Question Upgraded RAM and having weird issues

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Went from 2x4 to 2x8 of the same Ripjaws V 3200 MHz
R5 2600
ASRock B450M Pro 4
Aorus RX 570 4Gb

I expected to see some FPS gains in GTA5 and Farcry5, but both benchmarks show about the same FPS as before. Farcry I got an increase in the average by 1.
When going into the settings>graphics in GTA5 the mouse slows down to the point of looking like it's running at 2 FPS for 4 or 5 seconds before it seems to catch up.
Today I got 7 beeps when I switched into my own user profile after my daughter had been playing on the computer. I had 3 or 4 beeps doing the same thing yesterday but shrugged it off. I can't seem to recreate it. From what I gather the beep codes happen during posting not necessarily after the computer been running for a while and a user switches an account???
The installation did not exactly go smooth but eventually I got through it.

I realize the no FPS gains is probably due to my GPU, but still thought I'd see something more.

Considering returning the RAM cause a lot of weird stuff has been happening since I installed it. Is there a good way to test it to make sure it's good? Memtest86 the most reliable one?

Thanks for any help

May 26, 2020
When you say that the installation didn't go smoothly, think you might have hit, scratched or forced something?, even if a bit it can cause memory problems and instability.

Also check on cpu-z on the SPD tab, check all four slots and see if they are using the same frequency and timings.

Yep, memtest them by themselves and see if they fail. If so, defective. If they pass, I would memtest your original set and then all of them together.

If you suspect a slot might be bad, test just one module in each slot. If a slot fails, confirm it by testing another module in all the slots and see if the same thing happens.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
When you say that the installation didn't go smoothly, think you might have hit, scratched or forced something?, even if a bit it can cause memory problems and instability.

Also check on cpu-z on the SPD tab, check all four slots and see if they are using the same frequency and timings.
I have no reason to believe anything physical happened. Your post got me thinking there might be a slight chance dust got into the slot so I just blew it out with electronics duster. That said my case is pretty clean and I had no reason to be concerned about dust, and the new sticks were opened at my desk and installed 5 seconds later so they were as clean as could be.

It didn't go smooth because after the install I powered on and it reset before post and started over, once it posted I immediately went into BIOS to check it was installed properly, and it was. So I set the speed to 3200 and save/reset. Then it wouldn't post, case LED's were on and fans were ramped up but it sat like that for a few minutes till I manually had to reset it. Then it posted again and I let it boot into windows and all seemed well. Reset again and set the speed back up to 3200 fron the stock 2133 MHz in BIOS and seemed fine after that, except for the issues in my post.
I assumed that initial reset was normal after getting new RAM? I don't remember if it did that when I built it.

Checking performance inside task manager is all I have done so far and the RAM usage is about the same as with 8G just with way more available.
I'll check out CPU-Z and report back

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Yep, memtest them by themselves and see if they fail. If so, defective. If they pass, I would memtest your original set and then all of them together.

If you suspect a slot might be bad, test just one module in each slot. If a slot fails, confirm it by testing another module in all the slots and see if the same thing happens.
I don't think I'd be able to seat one into A1 as the cooler might be in the way at least to test all the sticks together. I also have no reason to believe any of the slots are bad just from removing a stick. But I'll try some of these tests and see how it goes.

GorillaMonsoon

Reputable
Feb 29, 2020
Ok so far with Memtest64 I am on my 9th loop and 15 mins in and 0 errors and still running...Stopped on loop 13 and 22 mins still with 0 errors.

CPU-Z > SPD tab does say I am using the same freq and timings on both populated slots.

The curios thing is on the timings table the highest frequency is 1600 MHz under the XMP-3200 column ... Is it just measuring it like a single in line module. In the BIOS and within Windows it says I'm running at 3200 Mhz. The other things in the timing table are: JEDEC#5 1018 MHz, JEDEC#6 1066 MHz, JEDEC#7 1066 MHz in case you know what those mean.

In the Memory tab it says my NB Frequency and DRAM Frequency are 1064.1 MHz...Can't say I really know what those actually are.