Question Upgraded RAM and SSD but still poor performance ?

Jun 22, 2023
Hi all,

I've recently upgraded my laptop with new SSD (PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD) and RAM (from 8gb to 2x16gb DDR4-2400). Adding the new upgrades was fine and system works as it did before. However, I'm seeing no performance improvement. In particular, if I play a game it barely runs well (no difference from before) and ends up with poor graphics, low fps (like 15-45 - sometimes even 4 or 5) and some games are almost unplayable on it - even on the lowest settings. I don't have many programs (I do have bitdefender which probably consumes the most memory). Is anyone able to help or advise? I'm really at a loss of how to improve things and would really appreciate the help!

Laptop is Dell Inspiron 14 5480

Specs are:
- Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz 1.99 GHz
- 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
- 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable)
- NVIDIA GeForce MX250 (driver is up to date)
- Using Windows 11, Steam & Battlenet (performance issues on both)

Thank you!
Nick

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
In particular, if I play a game it barely runs well (no difference from before) and ends up with poor graphics, low fps (like 15-45 - sometimes even 4 or 5) and some games are almost unplayable on it - even on the lowest settings.
You're misinformed if you think RAM and/or SSD gives you more FPS or better graphics.

What you do need, is GPU upgrade. But since you have a laptop, you need to get a new laptop.

Also, your MX250 is equal to desktop GT 1030, and that GPU is terrible,
comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GeForce-MX250-vs-Nvidia-GT-1030/m762458vsm283726

Hey there,

I'd agree with @Aeacus. Upgraing your ram alone, will not bring any performance increases. It will only allow you to have more tasks running at the same time. That is a benefit, but not a performance increase really.

Before ditching the laptop, you can try to improve performance. Your laptop is about 4-5 years old, right? If so, it probably needs a good clean.

This vid:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LX_vKqnfvR8
, will show you how to dissemble your laptop, and clean it. You can use a can of compressed air to blow out all the dust.

You could also try repasting the CPU/GPU with some good thermal paste. This might help performance.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If so, it probably needs a good clean.
Cleaning may help, a little, if laptop is running hot and CPU/GPU are thermal throttling.

With laptops, cleaning usually doesn't give any meaningful performance boost. Either the laptop is already running below thermal throttle and cleaning does 0; OR when laptop is thermal throttling, cleaning it may not help either, due do inadequate cooling solution.

Either way, cleaning a laptop is a lot of work, one can easily break something, returns are little (if any). And one magically will not get extra 20-40FPS out of a laptop just by cleaning it.
But cleaning laptop gives "hope". In leu of:"perhaps i get it running better/smoother.".

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
I hear ya! With that said, thermal throttling is very possible. Cleaning and repasting can often help to regain performance. I would agree though, there's no 'extra' performance to be had from that system even by cleaning and replacing. I could have phrased that better. But, cleaning and repasting can bring a laptop back to life, and provide performance levels like it was before.

I'd rather have some hope, than have to spend money unnecessarily! ;) The fix may help.

Either way, cleaning a laptop is a lot of work, one can easily break something,

That's why the included vid will help with that

While cleaning a laptop could be scary, It's not actually. Anyone who can read/watch instructions, and can use a Philips screwdriver can do it.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I'd rather have some hope, than have to spend money unnecessarily! ;) The fix may help.
Cleaning the laptop, especially the one OP has, will not give OP the results they are hoping for.

MX250 is weak GPU and that laptop is designed for business use, rather than gaming. Even with GPU OC, OP won't get the good/smooth/nice gaming experience out of their laptop.

If OP would have e.g gaming laptop that can game on 1080p without issues but is experiencing something, whereby gaming on 1080p is pain; then yes, it could be thermal throttling. But OP's laptop has never been good at gaming.

Or in other words:
If it was good at first but is crap now - there are ways to make it good again.
But if it was crap at first, then it doesn't matter how much you pamper it - it still remains crap.

Older laptop with as low as GTX 1050 GPU, will fare far better in games than what OP currently has,
GPU comparison: https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compa...50-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Mobile/m762458vsm211022

But OP's laptop has never been good at gaming.
No one has suggested otherwise.

Or in other words:
If it was good at first but is crap now - there are ways to make it good again.
But if it was crap at first, then it doesn't matter how much you pamper it - it still remains crap.
So the logic being, if your laptop is slowing down, or not performing, then simply just get a new one!? Don't bother cleaning and keeping it running as it should? No point, Is that the gist of it?
Older laptop with as low as GTX 1050 GPU, will fare far better in games than what OP currently has,
You're stating the obvious!!! And no-one would suggest that a GTX1050 is slower than the MX.

Last edited:
I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
The coolers are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.
Use a windows balanced power profile, not the performance profile.
Set a minimum cpu performance to something like 20%

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows balanced power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
So the logic being, if your laptop is slowing down, or not performing, then simply just get a new one!? Don't bother cleaning and keeping it running as it should?
Logic is, to 1st look what you have.

Like i said before;
If what you have is weak hardware (e.g MX250 GPU), there is no point to waste time and effort on cleaning it, since you'll never make a gaming rig out of it.
But if you'd have good gaming laptop that DID work fine, but for whatever reason, doesn't anymore, then there are ways to make it good again.

Jun 22, 2023
Hi all,

Thanks for your help and advice. I've been looking into all the things you've been saying and suggesting and I think I just have to accept that the GPU is no good for this kind of thing. I'm not going to bother with cleaning or other suggestions as it sounds like any improvement will be marginal and the overwhelming thing I've learned is that I'll have to get something else for gaming and keep this laptop for only work. Bit sad that I have to face up to it but oh well. Really appreciate the help from you all!

Reactions: Aeacus

Latest posts