Question Upgraded RAM, PC boots but no screen black?

madrerik

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
Hello,
I’ve decided to upgrade the memory capacity for my PC and bought the Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB 3600mhz (4x16gb) RAM. I installed all 4 sticks, but no video input was received. I removed two sticks and the computer booted alright. I interchanged the sticks for the other two sets and they also booted in a 2x16gb configuration. I checked the BIOS and enabled XMP to be able to reach the 3600mhz. Not sure why if I add the other two sticks I get no video input. All other BIOS settings were set to auto and the other memory! preset setting to disabled.

Additional details:

I have not flashed the BIOS ever since I bought in July 2020 (afraid of something going wrong).
I bought two kits with the exact same serial numbers, speeds and memory capacity.
Two sticks (32GB total) work with XMP enabled at 2933Mhz or less.
I tried manually setting the speeds to the lowest common speed, reinstalled RAMs and still was getting black screen.
I tested all four sticks independently and they all work, just not together.

PC specs:

i9-9900k 3.6Ghz
RTX 2080 ti
Corsair Dominator 32GB @ 2933Mhz (XMP enabled)
MSI z390 MEG ACE motherboard
850w PSU

D

Deleted member 362816

I would advise a bios update. May or may not fix your issue but it's a good start. Worried about losing power borrow or use a UPS backup for the update.

Not the first motherboard that I have seen that didn't want to post with 3600mhz ram when using 64gb total.

madrerik

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2013
I would advise a bios update. May or may not fix your issue but it's a good start. Worried about losing power borrow or use a UPS backup for the update.

Not the first motherboard that I have seen that didn't want to post with 3600mhz ram when using 64gb total.
Is that basically the only danger to updating a BIOS, losing power? I have a UPS backup already - I could give it a try.

D

Deleted member 362816

Is that basically the only danger to updating a BIOS, losing power? I have a UPS backup already - I could give it a try.

I have never had a bios update fail on a mainstream board. And I have done over 150 this year alone.