[SOLVED] Upgraded router but speed is still limited?

Oct 16, 2021
I recently upgraded my Verizon home internet from 100mbps to 300mbps, received the provided router by t hem and set it up in my basement. It's working fine, the speed is correct down there. However I have a different router in my room 2 floors up connected by an ethernet cable (CAT6), I had an old router that didn't have gigabit ports so I was limited and still having 100mbps on my computer upstairs. Even viewing on the Verizon MyFios app, details on the router is showing that it is indeed limited to 100mbps and I can't change / allow more

So I upgraded the router in my room to the TP-Link AC1750 (Archer A7) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079JD7F7G?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

Set it all up, however I am still only receiving 100mpbs on up/down when I use the speed test. I followed the instructions, it even included a part of unplugging and removing the backup battery of my motem but it didn't change anything.

Any help would be appreciated and I will answer any questions if it helps, thanks in advance!

Solution
You likely have a bad cable.

Can you tell in any of the router display what the port speeds are. Are there lights on the router ports that maybe indicate the speed. You have 2 cables that could be the issue the one between your pc and the router and the long one between the 2 routers.

What happens if you plug you pc directly into the cable going to the router in the basement.

The most common problem with cables are fake cables. You see all kinds of flat cables being sold. None of these meet the standards to actually be called a ethernet cable because the wires are too small. There are also cable that are not pure copper (cca) that have issue especially at longer distance.

Then again it can be a good cable that became...

Can you tell in any of the router display what the port speeds are. Are there lights on the router ports that maybe indicate the speed. You have 2 cables that could be the issue the one between your pc and the router and the long one between the 2 routers.

What happens if you plug you pc directly into the cable going to the router in the basement.

The most common problem with cables are fake cables. You see all kinds of flat cables being sold. None of these meet the standards to actually be called a ethernet cable because the wires are too small. There are also cable that are not pure copper (cca) that have issue especially at longer distance.

Then again it can be a good cable that became defective. It only takes 1 wire to come slightly loose inside one of the plug ends for it to not work correctly.

Reactions: Quintus_Sheer
Solution
Oct 16, 2021

Then again it can be a good cable that became defective. It only takes 1 wire to come slightly loose inside one of the plug ends for it to not work correctly.
That was a great suggestion. I took the cable that is going directly from the router downstairs to my computer in my room. Ran a speed test and still got around 100/100. It may be the CAT6 ethernet cable thats running up to my room.

I'm going to bring my new router downstairs and try it on the other cables and do some testing.