Question Upgraded System running HOT! Any ideas?

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Hey everyone, thanks for taking the time to read this. I recently upgraded my PC and now it's running crazy hot.

This is what my build was previous: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Gyp3gt

This is what my build is now: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9Q7C4d

All the fans, cooler, PSU, and case remained the same. When I put the Kraken on the new CPU I cleaned it off completely and pasted it with Noctua HT-H2, using the instruction/amount listed on the box.

CPU is running consistently at 60C+, when it used to never go above the 50s. GPU always ran kind of warm, in the 70-78 range, but now it struggles to stay below 80C.

Any ideas why EVERYTHING is running so much hotter?
Is the 5800x just that much hotter of a CPU?
I've also read this motherboard has a hot running VRM, but idk if that'd effect the build as a whole like this?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
the CPU is a higher wattage unit than the last one and I assume this is the same old cooler (age may be a factor). you have more RAM (twice the sticks) running at higher freq, this will add a bit of heat added to the hot GPU and warm VRM's and the lack of improved airflow I'd say everything looks right.
old cooling system, more heat sources and more heat.

you increased the heat in the box and did not address extra heat removal. the temps will rise accordingly.

Reactions: Phaaze88

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
The ram is actually running slower now, I can't get the XMP profile to work on the MSI board, but it worked on my previous with the old ram, but there are twice as many sticks regardless.

Just seems like it's a substantial jump in heat from one CPU to the other... I can't get my cooler to stop screaming at me for anything.

I might try to clean and repaste the CPU again. I put my hand infront of every fan and none of the air coming from any of them feels even warm, it's all cool. Maybe the sensors aren't working right?

Last edited:

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Yeah, I did a full reinstall of windows.

I have the Kraken X62 in the front of the case pulling air in (setup in push/pull because I have 4 fans on it). Two 140mm Corsair fans on top doing exhaust and one more 120mm fan that came with the case doing exhaust in the back. Cleaned all the filters/fans when I upgraded everything.

The ram is actually running slower now, I can't get the XMP profile to work on the MSI board, but it worked on my previous with the old ram, but there are twice as many sticks regardless.
Thats a common issue when using 4 sticks of ram, its a ryzen thing... dont worry about that much... takeout the side panel off and see if the temps are better which may indicate poor airflow...

stuperstrong

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2012
Alright, well just may be my life from now.

I might try to take the CPU off and paste it again, make sure it looks alright just to be sure because CAM says the CPU is at 58C and the liquid is at 28C. Not sure if that gap is normal.

Thanks for all the help!

Alright, well just may be my life from now.

I might try to take the CPU off and paste it again, make sure it looks alright just to be sure because CAM says the CPU is at 58C and the liquid is at 28C. Not sure if that gap is normal.

Thanks for all the help!
Thats a bit off... so yeah remounting the cooler will be a good idea... Also did u happen to update the bios before this all started? its normal ryzen do push for higher clocks at high voltages... u can limit that by setting the voltage to manual settings it will surely bring the temps down a lot... and even try doing a multi core overclock,

Last edited: