Question Upgraded the graphics card but.....need HELP

Nov 10, 2022
Hello everyone,

I'm very confused and I don't know what to do, so I hope to find some answer here.

I have this prebuilt computer from HP Omen 880 with GTX 1070 and I7 700 CPU:

https://support.hp.com/fr-fr/produc...es/15776604/model/17200008/document/c05627785

And I wanted to upgrade the video card, so I bought a used GTX 1080 FE from the internet, the owner tested it and told me that max temp while gaming was 82C, which is a normal temp for the Founders edition cards, so when I received the card and installed it properly (it was easy because the card has exactly the same dimensions as my GTX 1070 FE, also the new card uses one 8-pins connector as the 1070), but when testing the card it was the surprise, the performance was very low, lower than my old 1070, it is like half the performance of the GTX 1080, I don't understand why?

Can it be the power supply not efficient? The PSU in my computer is interne 500w as stated in the computer's page, and I searched everywhere in the internet, everyone says that 500w PSU is more than enough for the GTX 1080 (and that is why I didn't buy a newer graphics card because I know that my PSU will not handle it).

When benchmarking the new card, it was like the FPS is half the full potential of the card, temperature was in the range 60-70C (not 80C as the owner told me), it feels like the card does not draw the necessary power to operate at full speed, so I'm lost, what is your opinion please?

Many thanks for reading

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

First things first, a PSU that's been in service for a few years will not output the same amount of power it once did when brand new, much like how eye sight tends to deteriorate over time for folks. Second, a PSU will deteriorate faster when taxed with power hungry devices. The GTX1080FE, is a step above the GTX1070 in both performance and power draw(albeit a small bump up when compared to the GTX1070 but it needs more power regardless). Third, you invested on a second hand/used card, whereby it's highly likely that the card was used for mining.

Keeping all of that aside, an assuming nothings wrong with the PSU(after all these years) and the GPU you bought later was never used for mining, did you use DDU to uninstall your prior GPU's drivers before you powered down and removed the older GPU? Once the pseudo new GPU was dropped in, did you power up and manually install the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Nov 10, 2022
Hello,

The owner told me that the card was never used in mining. I re-installed the newer graphics card from Nvidia website twice, but I did not use DDU! I know from watching a gamer channel on YouTube who benchmarks games using different video cards, he replaces the card and test the game immediately after booting the system (he does not even re-install drivers). So I don't know really!!

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2022
Can a video card have a degraded performance overtime even if it looks like working properly? As I know, a video card either it works or does not work at all!

InvalidError

Titan
Can a video card have a degraded performance overtime even if it looks like working properly? As I know, a video card either it works or does not work at all!
It may lose a few performance% (0-10%) due to thermal paste/pad degradation reducing the amount of thermal headroom before throttling may occur but that shouldn't be anywhere near 50%. Use HWInfo or similar to look at GPU performance status to see what the temperatures and performance limit reasons are. You may want to also look at what GPU-Z reports your GPU as, just in case you got something that isn't a GTX1080.

Nov 10, 2022
Thank you everyone, the problem is solved. Actually after installing the new card I uninstalled the video drivers (clean install option in Nvidia installer) then re-installed the drivers.

Also I had to delete the DirectX Shader cache for all games, because the shaders cache is compiled and optimized for the current installed GPU only, so when replacing GPUs it needs to be deleted and re-compiled again for the new GPU, apparently that is why the game I tested was slower (Plague Tale Requiem).

Upgrading to a 1080? Why ever bother? With today's games there's little in it over your 1070. I wouldn't waste your time unless you're doing a real upgrade.

GTX 1080 is still a beast for 1080p 60 FPS gaming, it is slightly better than RTX 2060 and better than RTX 3050.

Last edited: