Question Upgraded to 16GB RAM from 8GB but PC can only boot with one stick.

aserving67

Prominent
May 5, 2018
I recently decided to upgrade my memory from 2x4GB to 2x8GB. I purchased 2 sticks of 8gb Hyperx ram off of eBay to replace my current 2 sticks of 4gb Adata RAM. Once it arrived, I took out my old two sticks and put the two new ones in the same slot to be in Dual Channel Mode and attempted to boot up my PC but it didn't even get to the BIOS, it was just in an endless boot loop. According to the website for my B85-G41 Motherboard, the newly purchased RAM should be compatible because it's DDR3 and 1600MHz which is supported by the mobo.

I decided to test just one stick and when I did that, everything booted up perfectly and my computer recognized the one stick of new RAM. The problem occurs when I try to use two new sticks simultaneously. I don't think there's a mobo issue because the old two sticks work as they should and I never had any problems with my old RAM.

I did research online and checked forums for potential fixes and I feel stuck now and I'm not sure how to proceed.
-I tried enabling XMP in the BIOS when one stick was in but my BIOS doesn't have the option to enable it. (In the manual it says it's automatically enabled when it's in Dual Channel Mode)
-I tried removing the CMOS battery and waiting 10 minutes to reset the BIOS, but that didn't help.
-I tried almost every combination with my 4 slots and 2 RAM and none seemed to work. There were also some slots where one stick wouldn't work but the other did leading me to think it might be faulty RAM but I'm not too sure. I bought new RAM off of Newegg that also seems to be compatible and I'm waiting for it to arrive but would like to know if there's an issue in case the Newegg RAM doesn't work either.
-I didn't check for bent pins in my CPU slot because my computer runs perfectly with the old RAM so I don't think there's an issue in that.

CPU: i7-4790K @ 4.00 GHz
GPU: GTX 1070
Motherboard: MSI B85-G41
Old Memory: 8GB Adata RAM
New Memory: 16GB HyperX Ram

I would really appreciate some help and maybe a point in the right direction! Thank you so so much in advance for any suggestions!!

aserving67

Prominent
May 5, 2018
try the two right ram slots. Using dual channel though.
What exactly do you mean by this? My mobo has 4 slots and in order to use Dual Channel the RAM needs to be in Slot 2 and 4 or in Slot 1 and 3. If I use the 2 right RAM slots, I'd be plugging it into slot 3 and 4 so I wouldn't be in Dual Channel.

aserving67

Prominent
May 5, 2018
Update: I updated my BIOS and in the BIOS settings there's now a way to enable/disable XMP. I enabled it and tried running with two sticks again but I still can't get it to fully boot. It just turns on with the fans but no more boot loop.