Question Upgraded to 2060Super from 970: Anything 1080 and below works fine, but above that and screen goes black. Occasional flash of signal?

cyjackx

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Windows 10
MOBO: Asrock Z87 Extreme4
EVGA 2060 Super

I did safe mode, DDU, then install of latest driver.
My BIOS is a little old...but I want to see if there's a solution before updating that since that is a riskier procedure.
I've been able to use a remote access software to mess with resolution settings from a laptop.

Anyways, 3840x2160 worked just fine with my Gigabyte 970 and my Samsung 4k TV. I swapped out the cards and now anything above 4k doesn't show signal. Although, there were a few moments where it did (for some reason). I got 4k signal for a bit, but then it pulsed black and signal for like 2 seconds at a time. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Update: I'm toying around with my Samsung TV's settings... I turned off the UHD color mode and now 4k works but it's only at 30P...but that's something...But it can't be a cable or tv issue if it was working fine with the previous GPU, so maybe it has something to do with the new one's ability to push out the 4k/60P signal?

Update2: Adjusting the resolution from the Window's display resolution just gives me a black screen...changing it from the NVIDIA control panel has the display coming in and out of signal...???

Last edited:
Absolutely do a BIOS update, the motherboard is old enough to have a chance of having issues. What is your power supply brand and model? Also if you are using a TV that may be the issue also, or could be the video cable, can try a newer revision HDMI cable. Try another HDMI port, not all ports on TVs may be capable of 4k at 60hz.

cyjackx

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Absolutely do a BIOS update, the motherboard is old enough to have a chance of having issues. What is your power supply brand and model? Also if you are using a TV that may be the issue also, or could be the video cable, can try a newer revision HDMI cable. Try another HDMI port, not all ports on TVs may be capable of 4k at 60hz.

Yeah, the BIOS is from 2013, but since the previous card worked just fine with all the cables/ports, I figured it'd be worth inquiring.

PSU is a Corsair RM 750R.

cyjackx

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013

After a very tumultuous BIOS update in which I thought I'd bricked the computer, I've updated the BIOS, did the DDU twice, and then reinstalled the driver.

Still doesn't give me 4k60P at 4:4:4 (or is it 4:2:2?) color. I can do 4k60P at 4:2:0 color, or 4k30P at 4:4:4, but attempting to set it to 4k60 at 4:4:4 gives me black. The only reason I'm ruling out the TV, the HDMI, cable, and the port is because it all worked fine with the previous GPU?

Edit: Some testing around with the NVIDIA color settings; YCBCr422 is not stable and produces constant flickering, RGB is black, but YCBCR420 is stable at 4k60p, but that's less than what I had before and still doesn't pass the chroma subsampling test.

Last edited:

cyjackx

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Curiously enough, it ended up merely being an HDMI cable through-put issue. I bought an 8K / 4k120hz compatible HDMI cable and have had no issues.

I don't know how my previous GPU was able to push the 4k60P signal thru my first cable; but I did notice tearing on 4k60p content, so perhaps it wasn't actually doing it well.

Nov 1, 2020
Windows 10
MOBO: Asrock Z87 Extreme4
EVGA 2060 Super

I did safe mode, DDU, then install of latest driver.
My BIOS is a little old...but I want to see if there's a solution before updating that since that is a riskier procedure.
I've been able to use a remote access software to mess with resolution settings from a laptop.

Anyways, 3840x2160 worked just fine with my Gigabyte 970 and my Samsung 4k TV. I swapped out the cards and now anything above 4k doesn't show signal. Although, there were a few moments where it did (for some reason). I got 4k signal for a bit, but then it pulsed black and signal for like 2 seconds at a time. Does anybody have any experience with this?

Update: I'm toying around with my Samsung TV's settings... I turned off the UHD color mode and now 4k works but it's only at 30P...but that's something...But it can't be a cable or tv issue if it was working fine with the previous GPU, so maybe it has something to do with the new one's ability to push out the 4k/60P signal?

Update2: Adjusting the resolution from the Window's display resolution just gives me a black screen...changing it from the NVIDIA control panel has the display coming in and out of signal...???

Nov 1, 2020
Easy Fix for Black Screen/No Signal after Dedicated GPU Driver Install with Windows 10

The problem (at least in my case) was the Win 10 default setting for my monitor/TV was way too high; above 3000 X 3000 and a scaling setting of 300% (I am using a 1080 HD TV) this surprisingly worked with the Basic Driver.

Step 1: You need to reboot into your on board GPU or into safe mode

Step 2: Go to the search panel and type in Display Settings (Bottom left of screen) you will be given a list click on the top item which is Display Setting and it will take you where you can alter the setting

Step 3: Change to what better suits your monitor e.g. 1862 X 1048 (or even Lower) at 100% (HD TV)

You may also want to check the refresh rate, Win default was 64 my screen only rated at 30

You may need to uninstall the Dedicated GPU driver and reinstall it.

Hope this is of help

Nov 1, 2020
Mine also work with previous setups (several in fact) but then I was using Win 7
The problem started when I move to Win 10
When you are able to install the Nivida drive it will set to what it thinks you need which usually works
Don't expect to run right with high resolutions which do not always suit you monitor (yes I now it should) windows can give recommend settings these have never work for me at least and I had to set it lower
Start low and see what works
Updating the BIOS can help but made no difference in my case
There are many solutions out there but none worked for me
Faulty components are another issue but my problem was a compatibility issue. I have read on the net that other people have had problems with Samsung and LG TV's Mine is a LG

Good Luck

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I bought a used gaming PC recently, that the previous owner was using as a VR machine, that was giving me issues through HDMI but worked fine using a DVI cable. I went through the Windows installation and removed all the Oculus software, drivers, and DLL's then rebooted and it worked fine. Maybe you're having a software conflict like I was having?