[SOLVED] Upgraded to Catalina on 2014 iMac. USB mouse and keyboard doesn't work.

So, Just as it says. I own a computer store, and I sell apple. We have a 2014 iMac so as a selling point I chose to upgrade it to Catalina... Now, after the upgrade, the USB keyboard and mouse don't work. Worked fine in Mojave, but once the upgrade was done, I was able to go through set up and choose internet and etc. Once the setup phase was done, and I was at the desktop main screen, USB keyboard and mouse do not work? It only pops up the box for "looking for bluetooth keyboard and mouse" the keyboard lights work (when caps lock or num lock is on) and the laser on the mouse works so I know they are getting power, they just don't function... any words of wisdom before I put Mojave back on it? I searched the apple forums and no one seems to have run into this issue... it's a 2014 iMac 21.5", i5, 8gb, 500gb.

Solution
as stated in my question... it is the USB wired keyboard and mouse that does not work... I don't have bluetooth keyboard and mouse so there is nothing to "pair" but thanks anyways. to reiterate... the WIRED USB keyboard and mouse do not work after update... as this is a store, I have tried several different options, including an actual apple keyboard and mouse... all wired, none are recognized, but all are getting power.
Sorry, it wasn't clear to me (I missed the USB reference).

From where did you get your Catalina installation media? An official Apple source or elsewhere?

Have you tried alternate USB ports as well? Or, connecting/re-connecting the keyboard/mouse AFTER powering the system up?
as stated in my question... it is the USB wired keyboard and mouse that does not work... I don't have bluetooth keyboard and mouse so there is nothing to "pair" but thanks anyways. to reiterate... the WIRED USB keyboard and mouse do not work after update... as this is a store, I have tried several different options, including an actual apple keyboard and mouse... all wired, none are recognized, but all are getting power.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Sorry, it wasn't clear to me (I missed the USB reference).

From where did you get your Catalina installation media? An official Apple source or elsewhere?

Have you tried alternate USB ports as well? Or, connecting/re-connecting the keyboard/mouse AFTER powering the system up?

Reactions: penguintech
Solution
Straight from apple... downloaded it from the app store as it was an available update.... I have tried 3 different keyboards and 4 different mice.... seems that we shut it down again, with the USB keyboard and mouse unplugged and plugged them back in AFTER it rebooted again and it seems to be working again.... but only on one specific keyboard and mouse... the others didn't work.... I can't express my hate for apple enough.... but it is what it is at this point.... whoever buys this is gonna want to put catalina on it anyways so, I will just sell it with the keyboard and mouse that I know works...lol but thanks for your help... :)

actually all the flash drives and the external hdd through USB worked fine... the Flash drive I used for back up worked fine... everything worked fine.. it even let me do the initial set up through the keyboard and mouse but as soon as it hit the desktop the keyboard and mouse stopped.... it's okay now... very strange... but it is a mac and they have minds of their own.... lol I can take em apart and put them together and make them work but using one on a daily doesn't work for me.... ha ha...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
actually all the flash drives and the external hdd through USB worked fine... the Flash drive I used for back up worked fine... everything worked fine.. it even let me do the initial set up through the keyboard and mouse but as soon as it hit the desktop the keyboard and mouse stopped.... it's okay now... very strange... but it is a mac and they have minds of their own.... lol I can take em apart and put them together and make them work but using one on a daily doesn't work for me.... ha ha...
Understood. Glad it is working now. 'Tis odd indeed.