Question Upgraded to Geforce 1660ti and every game getting regular freezes.

Christopher MacQueen

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
I recently upgraded from a Gigabyte Geforce 970OC which I had to downclock slightly due to a flaw in that card to a MSI Geforce 1660 ti.

Since the upgrade any game I play so far (tried 3) that I used to run fine on my old 970 now keeps getting freezes on the 1660 ti. I've used DDU to reinstall graphics drivers fully and have updated windows 10 a few times as I was behind a few updates and not resolved. I don't see how my system would have a problem with this card and should be quite capable of it.

Specs:
Vid Card: MSI Geforce 1660 ti
Mobo: Asus Strix B250F Gaming
CPU: i5-7400 3ghz
Ram: 16gb of ddr4 2400
PSU: 650 corsair (or silverstone, forget which is in which pc). and both are less then 1 yr old.
Windows 10

Not making sense to me as things ran fine with old vid card other then couldn't run a few games in top settings.

Lutfij

Titan
Latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Apart from the age, can you mention the exact models for the Corsair and/or the Silverstone(whichever is being used)? Which version of Windows 10 are you on at the moment? I assume that you downloaded the latest drivers off of Nvidia's site after running DDU to wipe the older installed drivers?

Aug 24, 2019
I recently upgraded from a Gigabyte Geforce 970OC which I had to downclock slightly due to a flaw in that card to a MSI Geforce 1660 ti.

Since the upgrade any game I play so far (tried 3) that I used to run fine on my old 970 now keeps getting freezes on the 1660 ti. I've used DDU to reinstall graphics drivers fully and have updated windows 10 a few times as I was behind a few updates and not resolved. I don't see how my system would have a problem with this card and should be quite capable of it.

Specs:
Vid Card: MSI Geforce 1660 ti
Mobo: Asus Strix B250F Gaming
CPU: i5-7400 3ghz
Ram: 16gb of ddr4 2400
PSU: 650 corsair (or silverstone, forget which is in which pc). and both are less then 1 yr old.
Windows 10

Not making sense to me as things ran fine with old vid card other then couldn't run a few games in top settings.
first uninstall your GPU and clean format your pc and install the Os which u like the most n then install Geforce 399 drivers as new drivers contain bugs like blue screen freezing

Christopher MacQueen

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
Latest BIOS for your motherboard?

Apart from the age, can you mention the exact models for the Corsair and/or the Silverstone(whichever is being used)? Which version of Windows 10 are you on at the moment? I assume that you downloaded the latest drivers off of Nvidia's site after running DDU to wipe the older installed drivers?

Using windows 10 pro x64 fully updated.
PSU Is a Silverstone ET650-B 80 bronze rated.

I used DDU to wipe out graphics drivers fully and reinstalled off the newest drivers from nvidia.

Checked my bios and it was quite old as the ez update never shows an update but did a manual update to the latest.

Still have the same freezes in games for a second or two fairly regularly. Maybe even a tad more often now but constantly happening either way.

Christopher MacQueen

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
first uninstall your GPU and clean format your pc and install the Os which u like the most n then install Geforce 399 drivers as new drivers contain bugs like blue screen freezing

Clean install isn't quite an option for me with the massive nuisance of reinstalling so very much. More of an absolute last resort. Not getting blue screen freezing but freezes that last 1-2 seconds very often while gaming.

Christopher MacQueen

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2013
Update, now one of my SATA disks keeps disconnecting after my pc is running a short bit. Never had any issue ever before until after GPU upgrade. Possible PSU failing and not providing enough stable juice? any way to tell?