Apr 27, 2012
AMD Phenom II x4 965 black
Asus m4a785td-v evo
Evga gtx1060 sc.
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600
Seasonic X series x650 gold
SanDisk Extreme II 2.5" 240GB SATA III SSd
Asus 1080p monitor

I upgraded from a amd 7850 to the gtx1060 and i didnt really notice a major increase in fps with world of warcraft. I am getting 20ish steady, sometimes 40-50 spikes at 7 which is the recommended setting.
Would a new mb/cpu (8700k/z370) or amd equivalent really let this gpu shine or will it be similar to current performance in which case i will go with a gaming laptop for portability around the house

Solution
Your CPU is pretty old and it's severely bottlenecking your new GPU especially in CPU-bound games like WoW. So the only way to maximise the FPS you are getting from the GTX 1060, is to get a new modern quad+ core CPU. A new Intel i5+ 8xxx/AMD Ryzen 5+ 2xxx will do the trick. Unfortunately you also have to get a new mobo and new DDR4 RAM which is currently pretty expensive. On the other hand you can keep all your other parts (PSU, SSD etc). Good luck.
Your CPU is pretty old and it's severely bottlenecking your new GPU especially in CPU-bound games like WoW. So the only way to maximise the FPS you are getting from the GTX 1060, is to get a new modern quad+ core CPU. A new Intel i5+ 8xxx/AMD Ryzen 5+ 2xxx will do the trick. Unfortunately you also have to get a new mobo and new DDR4 RAM which is currently pretty expensive. On the other hand you can keep all your other parts (PSU, SSD etc). Good luck.

Solution